Mar 5, 2014, 9:34 PM EST
Tim Bozon, a Montreal Canadiens prospect and star in the Western Hockey League, is in critical condition after being diagnosed with meningitis, the league stated in a release Wednesday.
From the WHL:
Tim Bozon was admitted to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon on Saturday, March 1 and has been diagnosed with Neisseria Meningitis. Tim’s parents, Phillippe and Helene Bozon, have been with him at the hospital in Saskatoon since arriving on Sunday from their home in Cureglia, Switzerland. The family has indicated to the WHL that Tim’s condition is critical.
Public health officials are in the process of reviewing the case to ensure all the necessary precautions are taken and anyone who had direct contact with the player receives appropriate treatment.
The 19-year-old Bozon is in his first season with the WHL’s Kootenay Ice, after being drafted by the Canadiens in the third round, 64th overall, of the 2012 NHL darft.
According to the CBC, health officials have confirmed that several players from different teams that may have been in contact with Bozon have been given an antibiotic.
“For meningitis only close contacts who may have come in contact with oral secretions are considered,” the CBC quoted health officials as saying in a release.
“Usually for sporadic cases that just means household contacts. In case of sports teams it becomes a bit more complicated because teams may share water bottles etc., and be in close contact with teams they play against; so other teams and referees are also being considered close contacts.”
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
And the NHL’s swift, significant response.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)