Mar 5, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Boston has added another piece to its blueline, getting Andrej Meszaros from Philly in exchange for a third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Meszaros, 28, has been the odd man out in Philly for most of the year, sitting long stretches as a healthy scratch while making just 38 total appearances. Offensively, he’s a decent pickup — five goals and 17 points this season — but his work defensively and skating ability leave something to be desired.
It will be interesting to see if he’s paired at all with Zdeno Chara in Boston. The two have been teammates on the Slovakian national team for a while, and were d-man partners in Ottawa during the 2005-06 campaign.
Meszaros is in the final of a six-year, $24 million deal with a $4 million cap hit.
— Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) March 5, 2014
Earlier today, the Bruins claimed Edmonton defenseman Corey Potter off waivers.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 23
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)