Mar 5, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Boston has added another piece to its blueline, getting Andrej Meszaros from Philly in exchange for a third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Meszaros, 28, has been the odd man out in Philly for most of the year, sitting long stretches as a healthy scratch while making just 38 total appearances. Offensively, he’s a decent pickup — five goals and 17 points this season — but his work defensively and skating ability leave something to be desired.
It will be interesting to see if he’s paired at all with Zdeno Chara in Boston. The two have been teammates on the Slovakian national team for a while, and were d-man partners in Ottawa during the 2005-06 campaign.
Meszaros is in the final of a six-year, $24 million deal with a $4 million cap hit.
— Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) March 5, 2014
Earlier today, the Bruins claimed Edmonton defenseman Corey Potter off waivers.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)