Mar 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
In exchange, the Ducks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.
Penner, 31, has 13 goals and 32 points in 49 games this year, missing some time with a concussion earlier in the season. He’s on a one-year, $2 million deal and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Penner has never played in the Eastern Conference before, spending all eight of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, Edmonton and Los Angeles.
As the headline suggests, Penner getting traded today is delicious irony. He infamously injured his back two years ago while digging into a stack of “delicious pancakes,” creating a Penner/Pancakes meme that had quite a bit of shelf life.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)