Mar 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
In exchange, the Ducks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.
Penner, 31, has 13 goals and 32 points in 49 games this year, missing some time with a concussion earlier in the season. He’s on a one-year, $2 million deal and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Penner has never played in the Eastern Conference before, spending all eight of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, Edmonton and Los Angeles.
As the headline suggests, Penner getting traded today is delicious irony. He infamously injured his back two years ago while digging into a stack of “delicious pancakes,” creating a Penner/Pancakes meme that had quite a bit of shelf life.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)