Mar 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
In exchange, the Ducks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.
Penner, 31, has 13 goals and 32 points in 49 games this year, missing some time with a concussion earlier in the season. He’s on a one-year, $2 million deal and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Penner has never played in the Eastern Conference before, spending all eight of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, Edmonton and Los Angeles.
As the headline suggests, Penner getting traded today is delicious irony. He infamously injured his back two years ago while digging into a stack of “delicious pancakes,” creating a Penner/Pancakes meme that had quite a bit of shelf life.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)