Mar 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
In exchange, the Ducks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.
Penner, 31, has 13 goals and 32 points in 49 games this year, missing some time with a concussion earlier in the season. He’s on a one-year, $2 million deal and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Penner has never played in the Eastern Conference before, spending all eight of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, Edmonton and Los Angeles.
As the headline suggests, Penner getting traded today is delicious irony. He infamously injured his back two years ago while digging into a stack of “delicious pancakes,” creating a Penner/Pancakes meme that had quite a bit of shelf life.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 6
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)