Mar 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
In exchange, the Ducks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.
Penner, 31, has 13 goals and 32 points in 49 games this year, missing some time with a concussion earlier in the season. He’s on a one-year, $2 million deal and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.
Penner has never played in the Eastern Conference before, spending all eight of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, Edmonton and Los Angeles.
As the headline suggests, Penner getting traded today is delicious irony. He infamously injured his back two years ago while digging into a stack of “delicious pancakes,” creating a Penner/Pancakes meme that had quite a bit of shelf life.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)