Mar 4, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Philly’s back in the trade deadline mix.
According to reports from the Philadelphia Daily News, the Flyers have made a “substantial offer” to try and get Ryan Kesler out of Vancouver and, what’s more, have also inquired about the availability of Canucks defenseman Alex Edler.
Before everybody starts freaking out about the possibility of a gigantic blockbuster, a little cold water: Frank Seravalli of the Daily News reports that, with just over 24 hours until the deadline, “any deal of this magnitude seems rather unlikely,” and “there are numerous obstacles in the way.”
For one, any trade involving Kesler would be a team-altering hockey trade, and not your standard “rental”-type deal often consummated around the deadline. This blockbuster would also require serious salary moving both ways for each team remain cap compliant – and they usually take time to put together.
For the Flyers, that would likely mean parting ways with a center like Brayden Schenn. Though Holmgren does not have a burning desire to trade anyone on his roster, reiterating Monday he likes his team as assembled, the Flyers would much rather move Schenn than Sean Couturier
Still, it is intriguing.
The Flyers have a number of young, talented players and prospects that would tantalize Vancouver: Schenn, Couturier and, quite possibly, Scott Laughton, the 20th overall pick at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft that has 83 points in 51 for OHL Oshawa this year and captained Canada at the World Juniors.
What’s more, Edler has five years left on his deal and comes with a reasonable cap hit ($5 million annually) — which is actually less than Kimmo Timonen‘s $6 million hit. If the 38-year-old Timonen retires at year’s end, Edler could be the replacement moving forward.
Finally, the Flyers have shown an interest in Kesler before, signing him to an offer sheet in 2006. This would also suggest Kesler’s willingness to play in Philadelphia, important given he’s got control over this situation via his no-trade clause.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54