Mar 4, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Philly’s back in the trade deadline mix.
According to reports from the Philadelphia Daily News, the Flyers have made a “substantial offer” to try and get Ryan Kesler out of Vancouver and, what’s more, have also inquired about the availability of Canucks defenseman Alex Edler.
Before everybody starts freaking out about the possibility of a gigantic blockbuster, a little cold water: Frank Seravalli of the Daily News reports that, with just over 24 hours until the deadline, “any deal of this magnitude seems rather unlikely,” and “there are numerous obstacles in the way.”
For one, any trade involving Kesler would be a team-altering hockey trade, and not your standard “rental”-type deal often consummated around the deadline. This blockbuster would also require serious salary moving both ways for each team remain cap compliant – and they usually take time to put together.
For the Flyers, that would likely mean parting ways with a center like Brayden Schenn. Though Holmgren does not have a burning desire to trade anyone on his roster, reiterating Monday he likes his team as assembled, the Flyers would much rather move Schenn than Sean Couturier
Still, it is intriguing.
The Flyers have a number of young, talented players and prospects that would tantalize Vancouver: Schenn, Couturier and, quite possibly, Scott Laughton, the 20th overall pick at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft that has 83 points in 51 for OHL Oshawa this year and captained Canada at the World Juniors.
What’s more, Edler has five years left on his deal and comes with a reasonable cap hit ($5 million annually) — which is actually less than Kimmo Timonen‘s $6 million hit. If the 38-year-old Timonen retires at year’s end, Edler could be the replacement moving forward.
Finally, the Flyers have shown an interest in Kesler before, signing him to an offer sheet in 2006. This would also suggest Kesler’s willingness to play in Philadelphia, important given he’s got control over this situation via his no-trade clause.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)