Mar 4, 2014, 10:32 PM EST
Three years ago, in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins, the two met head-to-head in the goaltending match-up of that series. Thomas and the Bruins came out victorious, in a physically brutal seven-game series certainly not lacking for storylines.
One that will live on for years to come is the infamous tire-pumping back-and-forth the two goalies had in the latter part of the series.
A little refresher: Luongo had a critique of a goal Thomas allowed in Game 5, which the Canucks went on to win, putting them one victory away from winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. The next day, Luongo tried to explain his comments.
“I said also that he might make some saves that I don’t, so I was just saying on that particular play I would have played it different and that’s the difference between me and him,” Luongo said, as per an article at ESPN.com.
“I’ve been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven’t heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that’s the way it is.”
Thomas responded back: “I guess I didn’t realize it was my job to pump his tires … I guess I have to apologize for that.”
Yes, we’ve all had a laugh. Interesting, however, that the day before the 2014 NHL trade deadline, the two have been united as members of the Florida Panthers.
That led Thomas to this rather hilarious comment following Florida’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins. See the below tweet.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5