Mar 4, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Three years ago, in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins, the two met head-to-head in the goaltending match-up of that series. Thomas and the Bruins came out victorious, in a physically brutal seven-game series certainly not lacking for storylines.
One that will live on for years to come is the infamous tire-pumping back-and-forth the two goalies had in the latter part of the series.
A little refresher: Luongo had a critique of a goal Thomas allowed in Game 5, which the Canucks went on to win, putting them one victory away from winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. The next day, Luongo tried to explain his comments.
“I said also that he might make some saves that I don’t, so I was just saying on that particular play I would have played it different and that’s the difference between me and him,” Luongo said, as per an article at ESPN.com.
“I’ve been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven’t heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that’s the way it is.”
Thomas responded back: “I guess I didn’t realize it was my job to pump his tires … I guess I have to apologize for that.”
Yes, we’ve all had a laugh. Interesting, however, that the day before the 2014 NHL trade deadline, the two have been united as members of the Florida Panthers.
That led Thomas to this rather hilarious comment following Florida’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins. See the below tweet.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32