Mar 4, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Three years ago, in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins, the two met head-to-head in the goaltending match-up of that series. Thomas and the Bruins came out victorious, in a physically brutal seven-game series certainly not lacking for storylines.
One that will live on for years to come is the infamous tire-pumping back-and-forth the two goalies had in the latter part of the series.
A little refresher: Luongo had a critique of a goal Thomas allowed in Game 5, which the Canucks went on to win, putting them one victory away from winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. The next day, Luongo tried to explain his comments.
“I said also that he might make some saves that I don’t, so I was just saying on that particular play I would have played it different and that’s the difference between me and him,” Luongo said, as per an article at ESPN.com.
“I’ve been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven’t heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that’s the way it is.”
Thomas responded back: “I guess I didn’t realize it was my job to pump his tires … I guess I have to apologize for that.”
Yes, we’ve all had a laugh. Interesting, however, that the day before the 2014 NHL trade deadline, the two have been united as members of the Florida Panthers.
That led Thomas to this rather hilarious comment following Florida’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins. See the below tweet.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)