Pumping tires: Goalies Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo united with Florida Panthers

Mar 4, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Vancouver Canucks - Game Seven Getty Images

Get this: Roberto Luongo and Tim Thomas as teammates.

Three years ago, in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins, the two met head-to-head in the goaltending match-up of that series. Thomas and the Bruins came out victorious, in a physically brutal seven-game series certainly not lacking for storylines.

One that will live on for years to come is the infamous tire-pumping back-and-forth the two goalies had in the latter part of the series.

A little refresher: Luongo had a critique of a goal Thomas allowed in Game 5, which the Canucks went on to win, putting them one victory away from winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. The next day, Luongo tried to explain his comments.

“I said also that he might make some saves that I don’t, so I was just saying on that particular play I would have played it different and that’s the difference between me and him,” Luongo said, as per an article at ESPN.com.

“I’ve been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven’t heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that’s the way it is.”

Thomas responded back: “I guess I didn’t realize it was my job to pump his tires … I guess I have to apologize for that.”

Yes, we’ve all had a laugh. Interesting, however, that the day before the 2014 NHL trade deadline, the two have been united as members of the Florida Panthers.

The Panthers acquired Luongo in a blockbuster trade on Tuesday (the former Canucks goalie thought he was “untradable,” remember?).

That led Thomas to this rather hilarious comment following Florida’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins. See the below tweet.

1. pigpen1013 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I hope Luongo gets the respect he deserves in Florida. I’m ashamed of the way he was treated by management and fans here in Vancouver. Best of luck down south, Lu. You were a class act all the way.

• blomfeld - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN !!! :) :) :) :) :)

2. lowenni - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I think they’re gonna get along fine. Luongo’s a class act and such a funny and nice guy, and judging by that tweet Thomas has got a sense of humor about this situation as well. These two certainly are never short of a quote or storyline, that’s for sure, and they’re pretty good at that goaltending thing too.

3. pitpenguinsrulez - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Lol

4. interiorfan - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM

All the best to Lou. I hope he brings a cup to Florida. He deserves it……best goalie Van City ever had. He put up with a lot of garbage the last couple of years and managed to keep his sense of humour. Vancouver’s loss is Florida’s gain. Life without Lou won’t be the same!

5. charlieconway96 - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I previously commented that I’d be interested in seeing what the locker room dynamic is between these two. After further consideration, I’d be even more interested (maybe nervously excited at the thought of the probable insanity) in the dynamic between Thomas and Tortorella if Timmy had been traded to Vancouver.

That would have been entertainment at its finest.

6. paganmonkey - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

As a big fan of Lou, I hope that tea-party nut bar Thomas retires again, or goes anywhere away from Lou (except Vancouver). That was a snide and malicious comment meant to undercut his new real competition. Did anyone notice that no Bruin missed Thomas when he took his little vacation? Teammate? Try egocentric ass.

• hockeyflow33 - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:48 AM

What do you mean missed? This is a business, not a peewee hockey team. Guys get traded or cut all the time and it’s part of the business.

Just because you disagree with someone’s political opinions, it doesn’t mean they’re a horrible person.

7. balfe13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:36 AM

A “snide and malicious comment?” Wow. I’m sure you have a wonderful sense of humor, paganmonkey. I bet you’re a blast to joke around with.

8. hockeydon10 - Mar 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Seeing Luongo’s humor come out on his twitter feed, part of me thinks his ‘pumping tires’ comment was meant as a joke but was too dry for the bobble-heads in the media to pick up on it.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see TT and Lou joking around.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1300)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1119)
  3. S. Crosby (1118)