Mar 4, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the St. Louis Blues host the Tampa Bay Lightning at Scottrade Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
One of the joys of trade deadline time is the storylines it creates late in the season. There’s no better example of that than tonight’s game in St. Louis between the Blues and Lightning.
On the one hand, the St. Louis Blues have already made their deadline move acquiring Ryan Miller and Steve Ott from Buffalo. While those two have already made their Blues debut on Sunday night against the Phoenix Coyotes, they’ll be making their first appearance in St. Louis tonight.
Miller only made 23 saves in the Blues’ 4-2 win against the Coyotes and had to come back from being down 2-0 in the third to do it. Life is a bit different from how it was in Buffalo, that’s for sure.
The more important part of that win for the Blues is it snapped a two-game losing skid. They’re locked in a battle atop the Central Division with the Chicago Blackhawks and losing any game the rest of the way could mean the difference in who gets home ice advantage in the playoffs.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $1,200 Fantasy Hockey league for Tuesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $275. Starts Tuesday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Tampa Bay Lightning are on the flipside of trade talks. Instead of making moves, the stories of late surround whether or not they’re going to make a big move. The center of attention there is captain Martin St. Louis.
Talk persists over whether or not he wants to stay in Tampa and while he’s continued to play outstanding hockey, the Bolts have been a bit inconsistent of late (three wins in the last nine games) and have fallen behind the Montreal Canadiens in the Atlantic Division.
Tampa doesn’t have to make many moves as their biggest “acquisition” will come in the form of Steven Stamkos‘ eventual return. Could tonight be St. Louis’ final game in a Lightning jersey? Sure, but it’s up to Ben Bishop and coach Jon Cooper to not let that become a distraction.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)