Mar 4, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the St. Louis Blues host the Tampa Bay Lightning at Scottrade Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
One of the joys of trade deadline time is the storylines it creates late in the season. There’s no better example of that than tonight’s game in St. Louis between the Blues and Lightning.
On the one hand, the St. Louis Blues have already made their deadline move acquiring Ryan Miller and Steve Ott from Buffalo. While those two have already made their Blues debut on Sunday night against the Phoenix Coyotes, they’ll be making their first appearance in St. Louis tonight.
Miller only made 23 saves in the Blues’ 4-2 win against the Coyotes and had to come back from being down 2-0 in the third to do it. Life is a bit different from how it was in Buffalo, that’s for sure.
The more important part of that win for the Blues is it snapped a two-game losing skid. They’re locked in a battle atop the Central Division with the Chicago Blackhawks and losing any game the rest of the way could mean the difference in who gets home ice advantage in the playoffs.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $1,200 Fantasy Hockey league for Tuesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $275. Starts Tuesday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Tampa Bay Lightning are on the flipside of trade talks. Instead of making moves, the stories of late surround whether or not they’re going to make a big move. The center of attention there is captain Martin St. Louis.
Talk persists over whether or not he wants to stay in Tampa and while he’s continued to play outstanding hockey, the Bolts have been a bit inconsistent of late (three wins in the last nine games) and have fallen behind the Montreal Canadiens in the Atlantic Division.
Tampa doesn’t have to make many moves as their biggest “acquisition” will come in the form of Steven Stamkos‘ eventual return. Could tonight be St. Louis’ final game in a Lightning jersey? Sure, but it’s up to Ben Bishop and coach Jon Cooper to not let that become a distraction.
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)