Mar 4, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
With new ownership that’s apparently given general manager Dale Tallon permission to spend to the salary cap, the Florida Panthers are definitely a team to watch leading up to tomorrow’s trade deadline, and into this summer’s draft and free agency.
Yesterday, we passed along the news that longtime club president Michael Yormark had resigned to go work with Jay-Z’s agency. Yormark was replaced with Rory Babich, who spoke optimistically about the future of the franchise.
“We’re incredibly optimistic,” Babich said, per the Miami Herald. “[Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu] bought the team with the belief it can be very successful in South Florida. Dale and I certainly share that vision. That’s why we’re both here today.”
The Panthers already have some blue-chip youngsters, like Jonathan Huberdeau, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Drew Shore, Erik Gudbranson, Dmitry Kulikov, and Michael Matheson. Even if they don’t all pan out perfectly, with some savvy trade and/or free-agent additions, the Panthers’ future could be a bright one on the ice.
As for off the ice, we’ll have to wait and see. If the Panthers turn into a consistent winner, will the fans support them?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)