Mar 4, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
With new ownership that’s apparently given general manager Dale Tallon permission to spend to the salary cap, the Florida Panthers are definitely a team to watch leading up to tomorrow’s trade deadline, and into this summer’s draft and free agency.
Yesterday, we passed along the news that longtime club president Michael Yormark had resigned to go work with Jay-Z’s agency. Yormark was replaced with Rory Babich, who spoke optimistically about the future of the franchise.
“We’re incredibly optimistic,” Babich said, per the Miami Herald. “[Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu] bought the team with the belief it can be very successful in South Florida. Dale and I certainly share that vision. That’s why we’re both here today.”
The Panthers already have some blue-chip youngsters, like Jonathan Huberdeau, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Drew Shore, Erik Gudbranson, Dmitry Kulikov, and Michael Matheson. Even if they don’t all pan out perfectly, with some savvy trade and/or free-agent additions, the Panthers’ future could be a bright one on the ice.
As for off the ice, we’ll have to wait and see. If the Panthers turn into a consistent winner, will the fans support them?
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)