Mar 4, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Martin Brodeur, one of the best goalies of all-time and a New Jersey Devils great, could indeed be on the move to another National Hockey League team when all is done Wednesday.
On Tuesday, in what might be his last game with the Devils depending on what happens Wednesday, Brodeur recorded a 4-3 victory over the Detroit Red Wings. Stephen Gionta scored the winner with 37 seconds remaining in regulation time. For Brodeur, it’s career regular season win 684 – all with the Devils. As per Dan Rosen of NHL.com, the fans at the Prudential Center began chanting ‘We want Marty!’
“This is who I am. I’m a Devil, and I’m always going to be a Devil, regardless of what happens tomorrow,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger.
Brodeur, who has been relegated to back-up duties for the most part behind Cory Schneider, added that he’s had talks with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in the lead-up to Wednesday.
“I had some good conversations with Lou about what I want to do for the rest of the year and maybe next year, and from there, it’s up to him to make the decision,” Brodeur said to the Star-Ledger. “He knows exactly where I stand.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)