Mar 4, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have acquired veteran defenseman Mike Weaver from Florida, according to multiple reports.
In exchange, Florida received a fifth round pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
Weaver, 35, has spent the last four years in Florida, serving in a stay-at-home defensive role while averaging close to 20 minutes per night. He leads the team in blocked shots (94) this season and been reasonably durable, appearing in all 82 games during the 2010-11 and ’11-12 campaigns.
Weaver’s also relatively affordable, currently in the last of a two-year deal with a $1.1 million cap hit.
The interesting angle, though, is that Montreal added a defenseman. The Habs currently have seven on NHL contracts — Andrei Markov, Josh Gorges, P.K. Subban, Alexei Emelin, Francis Bouillon, Douglas Murray and Jarred Tinordi — with prospect Nathan Beaulieu having been shuttled up and down between Montreal and AHL Hamilton throughout the year.
What’s more, Davis Drewiske is back in the mix (recently waived so he could go to Hamilton and rehab his shoulder) and the club recently flipped Swiss blueliner Raphael Diaz to Vancouver in exchange for fourth-line forward Dale Weise.
As such, the Weaver addition could be a precursor to another move… or, perhaps GM Marc Bergevin just wanted to ensure his club had blueline depth heading into the postseason.
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 6
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 22
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)