Mar 4, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
The New York Rangers are interested in Ryan Kesler, but the feeling isn’t mutual.
Kesler has reportedly refused to waive his no-trade clause for a potential deal to the Rangers, according to the New York Post. The report has since been confirmed by ESPN New York, essentially killing any chance of a Kesler-Alain Vigneault reunion in the Big Apple.
Kesler, 29, has also reportedly shot down any potential move to Columbus as well.
Philadelphia, Anaheim and Pittsburgh have emerged as the three most rumored suitors for Kesler’s services. The 29-year-old has been shopped around by Vancouver and is arguably the biggest impact player available on the trade market, though it’s unclear of Canucks GM Mike Gillis will be able to orchestrate the right deal prior to Wednesday’s deadline.
Turning down New York is an interesting move from Kesler, as he enjoyed some of the best years of his career under Vigneault. That includes the 2010-11 season, when Kesler scored a career-high 41 goals and captured his first Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward.
That said, Vigneault and Kesler didn’t always see eye-to-eye on things and there were reports of discord among the two.
It’s unknown what the Rangers were offering for Kesler, though Vancouver’s reported asking price is a roster player, first-round pick and a prospect.
Related: PHT Extra: Where will Kesler end up?
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)