Mar 4, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are interested in Ryan Kesler, but the feeling isn’t mutual.
Kesler has reportedly refused to waive his no-trade clause for a potential deal to the Rangers, according to the New York Post. The report has since been confirmed by ESPN New York, essentially killing any chance of a Kesler-Alain Vigneault reunion in the Big Apple.
Kesler, 29, has also reportedly shot down any potential move to Columbus as well.
Philadelphia, Anaheim and Pittsburgh have emerged as the three most rumored suitors for Kesler’s services. The 29-year-old has been shopped around by Vancouver and is arguably the biggest impact player available on the trade market, though it’s unclear of Canucks GM Mike Gillis will be able to orchestrate the right deal prior to Wednesday’s deadline.
Turning down New York is an interesting move from Kesler, as he enjoyed some of the best years of his career under Vigneault. That includes the 2010-11 season, when Kesler scored a career-high 41 goals and captured his first Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward.
That said, Vigneault and Kesler didn’t always see eye-to-eye on things and there were reports of discord among the two.
It’s unknown what the Rangers were offering for Kesler, though Vancouver’s reported asking price is a roster player, first-round pick and a prospect.
Related: PHT Extra: Where will Kesler end up?
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)