Mar 4, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
The Islanders aren’t taking any chances prior to tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Thomas Vanek is being held out of the lineup for tonight’s game against Winnipeg, Newsday reports. This development comes just hours after Islanders GM Garth Snow moved one of his assets, flipping defenseman Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia in exchange for a pair of picks.
Vanek is one of the most sought-after commodities on the market and is all but destined to be moved, especially after rejecting a “substantial” offer from the Isles. The Austrian sniper has made it clear he plans to test free agency in July.
As such, the Isles will go into tonight’s lineup pretty depleted. They were already down the services of captain John Tavares (torn MCL) and will now be without MacDonald and Vanek, two of their leading scorers on the season.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 14
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25