Mar 4, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
The Islanders aren’t taking any chances prior to tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Thomas Vanek is being held out of the lineup for tonight’s game against Winnipeg, Newsday reports. This development comes just hours after Islanders GM Garth Snow moved one of his assets, flipping defenseman Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia in exchange for a pair of picks.
Vanek is one of the most sought-after commodities on the market and is all but destined to be moved, especially after rejecting a “substantial” offer from the Isles. The Austrian sniper has made it clear he plans to test free agency in July.
As such, the Isles will go into tonight’s lineup pretty depleted. They were already down the services of captain John Tavares (torn MCL) and will now be without MacDonald and Vanek, two of their leading scorers on the season.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 28
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3