Mar 4, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
The Islanders aren’t taking any chances prior to tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Thomas Vanek is being held out of the lineup for tonight’s game against Winnipeg, Newsday reports. This development comes just hours after Islanders GM Garth Snow moved one of his assets, flipping defenseman Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia in exchange for a pair of picks.
Vanek is one of the most sought-after commodities on the market and is all but destined to be moved, especially after rejecting a “substantial” offer from the Isles. The Austrian sniper has made it clear he plans to test free agency in July.
As such, the Isles will go into tonight’s lineup pretty depleted. They were already down the services of captain John Tavares (torn MCL) and will now be without MacDonald and Vanek, two of their leading scorers on the season.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5