Mar 4, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
The Islanders aren’t taking any chances prior to tomorrow’s trade deadline.
Thomas Vanek is being held out of the lineup for tonight’s game against Winnipeg, Newsday reports. This development comes just hours after Islanders GM Garth Snow moved one of his assets, flipping defenseman Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia in exchange for a pair of picks.
Vanek is one of the most sought-after commodities on the market and is all but destined to be moved, especially after rejecting a “substantial” offer from the Isles. The Austrian sniper has made it clear he plans to test free agency in July.
As such, the Isles will go into tonight’s lineup pretty depleted. They were already down the services of captain John Tavares (torn MCL) and will now be without MacDonald and Vanek, two of their leading scorers on the season.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)