Mar 4, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Roberto Luongo will make his first post-Olympics start tonight when the Canucks take on the Coyotes in Phoenix.
Luongo was parked for Vancouver’s first three games out of the break in favor of Eddie Lack — including, most controversially, the Heritage Classic loss to Ottawa on Sunday — and it’ll be interesting to see how the veteran reacts to another goalie saga (granted, a less contentious one than Luongo had with Cory Schneider.)
Luongo’s Olympic teammate, Mike Smith, will get the start in goal for Phoenix.
(Related: Click here to read about Washington “looking at” Luongo.)
UPDATE: Yeah, Luongo isn’t starting.
Marty goes for Devils
Brodeur’s name surfaced in a report suggesting he was going to Minnesota, only to see the Wild acquire Ilya Bryzgalov from Edmonton instead. As such, it seems unlikely Brodeur will move by tomorrow’s trade deadline… though that’s not ruling it out entirely.
Brodeur played well in his last outing — stopping 18 of 19 shots in a 6-1 win over the Islanders — and he’ll take on Jimmy Howard in the Detroit goal tonight.
Islanders at Jets: Anders Nilsson vs. Ondrej Pavelec
Avalanche at Blackhawks: Corey Crawford for Chicago, no word on Colorado starter.
Hurricanes at Sharks: Alex Stalock for San Jose, no word on Carolina starter.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)