Mar 4, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Roberto Luongo will make his first post-Olympics start tonight when the Canucks take on the Coyotes in Phoenix.
Luongo was parked for Vancouver’s first three games out of the break in favor of Eddie Lack — including, most controversially, the Heritage Classic loss to Ottawa on Sunday — and it’ll be interesting to see how the veteran reacts to another goalie saga (granted, a less contentious one than Luongo had with Cory Schneider.)
Luongo’s Olympic teammate, Mike Smith, will get the start in goal for Phoenix.
(Related: Click here to read about Washington “looking at” Luongo.)
UPDATE: Yeah, Luongo isn’t starting.
Marty goes for Devils
Brodeur’s name surfaced in a report suggesting he was going to Minnesota, only to see the Wild acquire Ilya Bryzgalov from Edmonton instead. As such, it seems unlikely Brodeur will move by tomorrow’s trade deadline… though that’s not ruling it out entirely.
Brodeur played well in his last outing — stopping 18 of 19 shots in a 6-1 win over the Islanders — and he’ll take on Jimmy Howard in the Detroit goal tonight.
Islanders at Jets: Anders Nilsson vs. Ondrej Pavelec
Avalanche at Blackhawks: Corey Crawford for Chicago, no word on Colorado starter.
Hurricanes at Sharks: Alex Stalock for San Jose, no word on Carolina starter.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 70
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5