Mar 4, 2014, 2:16 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been extremely busy in the day prior to the NHL trade deadline.
Having already flipped Dustin Penner to Washington and Viktor Fasth to Edmonton, the Ducks solidified their back end by acquiring veteran blueliner Stephane Robidas from Dallas, according to the O.C. Register.
In exchange, Dallas receives the fourth-round pick Anaheim received from Washington in the Penner deal.
Robidas, 37, has been out of action since Nov. 30 with a severe leg break. He broke both his tibia and fibia, which required a rod being inserted into the tibia and screws inserted into his ankle and knee. Robidas was given a 4-6 month recovery timetable but, within days of undergoing surgery, the veteran rearguard was already doing upper leg exercises and trying to development movement in his ankle.
Robidas is in the final of a four-year, $13.2 million deal with a $3.3 million cap hit. He has resumed skating and is believed to be on target for a mid-March return to game action.
Here’s more on the deal, from the Dallas Morning News:
I’m hearing Robidas to Ducks for conditional 4th rounder. It becomes a 3rd if they win two rounds and he plays in 50% of playoff games.
— Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) March 4, 2014
Update: There are rumblings of Anaheim clearing space to potentially make a move for Thomas Vanek. The Ducks already had significant cap space prior to moving Penner and Fasth (even with adding Robidas), so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of package would be drawn up in the event of a trade with the Isles.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 19
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 41
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9