Mar 4, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have been extremely busy in the day prior to the NHL trade deadline.
Having already flipped Dustin Penner to Washington and Viktor Fasth to Edmonton, the Ducks solidified their back end by acquiring veteran blueliner Stephane Robidas from Dallas, according to the O.C. Register.
In exchange, Dallas receives the fourth-round pick Anaheim received from Washington in the Penner deal.
Robidas, 37, has been out of action since Nov. 30 with a severe leg break. He broke both his tibia and fibia, which required a rod being inserted into the tibia and screws inserted into his ankle and knee. Robidas was given a 4-6 month recovery timetable but, within days of undergoing surgery, the veteran rearguard was already doing upper leg exercises and trying to development movement in his ankle.
Robidas is in the final of a four-year, $13.2 million deal with a $3.3 million cap hit. He has resumed skating and is believed to be on target for a mid-March return to game action.
Here’s more on the deal, from the Dallas Morning News:
I’m hearing Robidas to Ducks for conditional 4th rounder. It becomes a 3rd if they win two rounds and he plays in 50% of playoff games.
— Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) March 4, 2014
Update: There are rumblings of Anaheim clearing space to potentially make a move for Thomas Vanek. The Ducks already had significant cap space prior to moving Penner and Fasth (even with adding Robidas), so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of package would be drawn up in the event of a trade with the Isles.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)