Mar 4, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have been extremely busy in the day prior to the NHL trade deadline.
Having already flipped Dustin Penner to Washington and Viktor Fasth to Edmonton, the Ducks solidified their back end by acquiring veteran blueliner Stephane Robidas from Dallas, according to the O.C. Register.
In exchange, Dallas receives the fourth-round pick Anaheim received from Washington in the Penner deal.
Robidas, 37, has been out of action since Nov. 30 with a severe leg break. He broke both his tibia and fibia, which required a rod being inserted into the tibia and screws inserted into his ankle and knee. Robidas was given a 4-6 month recovery timetable but, within days of undergoing surgery, the veteran rearguard was already doing upper leg exercises and trying to development movement in his ankle.
Robidas is in the final of a four-year, $13.2 million deal with a $3.3 million cap hit. He has resumed skating and is believed to be on target for a mid-March return to game action.
Here’s more on the deal, from the Dallas Morning News:
I’m hearing Robidas to Ducks for conditional 4th rounder. It becomes a 3rd if they win two rounds and he plays in 50% of playoff games.
— Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) March 4, 2014
Update: There are rumblings of Anaheim clearing space to potentially make a move for Thomas Vanek. The Ducks already had significant cap space prior to moving Penner and Fasth (even with adding Robidas), so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of package would be drawn up in the event of a trade with the Isles.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)