Mar 4, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have been extremely busy in the day prior to the NHL trade deadline.
Having already flipped Dustin Penner to Washington and Viktor Fasth to Edmonton, the Ducks solidified their back end by acquiring veteran blueliner Stephane Robidas from Dallas, according to the O.C. Register.
In exchange, Dallas receives the fourth-round pick Anaheim received from Washington in the Penner deal.
Robidas, 37, has been out of action since Nov. 30 with a severe leg break. He broke both his tibia and fibia, which required a rod being inserted into the tibia and screws inserted into his ankle and knee. Robidas was given a 4-6 month recovery timetable but, within days of undergoing surgery, the veteran rearguard was already doing upper leg exercises and trying to development movement in his ankle.
Robidas is in the final of a four-year, $13.2 million deal with a $3.3 million cap hit. He has resumed skating and is believed to be on target for a mid-March return to game action.
Here’s more on the deal, from the Dallas Morning News:
I’m hearing Robidas to Ducks for conditional 4th rounder. It becomes a 3rd if they win two rounds and he plays in 50% of playoff games.
— Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) March 4, 2014
Update: There are rumblings of Anaheim clearing space to potentially make a move for Thomas Vanek. The Ducks already had significant cap space prior to moving Penner and Fasth (even with adding Robidas), so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of package would be drawn up in the event of a trade with the Isles.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)