Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
Martin Erat asked, and he received.
The Capitals forward, who demanded a trade out of Washington in November, has been traded to Phoenix in exchange for Rostislav Klesla and forward Chris Brown.
Washington will also get a fourth-round pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, while the ‘Yotes will obtain the services of AHL forward John Mitchell.
The move marks the end of Erat’s disastrous stint in D.C. Acquired from Nashville at last year’s deadline in exchange for prospect Filip Forsberg, Erat failed to find his niche in Washington and struggled under head coach Adam Oates, eventually serving as a healthy scratch this season.
Erat has one goal and 23 assists in 51 games this year, with two years left on his deal at $4.5 million per. His lack of production has been a running theme but is slightly overblown and exacerbated by the paltry goal total — he’s actually has the fourth-most assist on the Caps, and eight points in his last nine games.
“We think Martin will excel at the way we play,” Phoenix GM Don Maloney explained. “I think he needs a breath of fresh air.”
As for what’s going to Washington…
Like Erat, Klesla fell out of favor in Phoenix this year and was placed on waivers, eventually spending some time with AHL Portland. The 31-year-old has just four points this season but is an experienced veteran presence, having played in over 650 NHL contests during his 14-year career. Brown has only played in six games this year and 11 during his NHL career.
Klesla and Brown will both report to AHL Hersey, the Caps have announced.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)