Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
Martin Erat asked, and he received.
The Capitals forward, who demanded a trade out of Washington in November, has been traded to Phoenix in exchange for Rostislav Klesla and forward Chris Brown.
Washington will also get a fourth-round pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, while the ‘Yotes will obtain the services of AHL forward John Mitchell.
The move marks the end of Erat’s disastrous stint in D.C. Acquired from Nashville at last year’s deadline in exchange for prospect Filip Forsberg, Erat failed to find his niche in Washington and struggled under head coach Adam Oates, eventually serving as a healthy scratch this season.
Erat has one goal and 23 assists in 51 games this year, with two years left on his deal at $4.5 million per. His lack of production has been a running theme but is slightly overblown and exacerbated by the paltry goal total — he’s actually has the fourth-most assist on the Caps, and eight points in his last nine games.
“We think Martin will excel at the way we play,” Phoenix GM Don Maloney explained. “I think he needs a breath of fresh air.”
As for what’s going to Washington…
Like Erat, Klesla fell out of favor in Phoenix this year and was placed on waivers, eventually spending some time with AHL Portland. The 31-year-old has just four points this season but is an experienced veteran presence, having played in over 650 NHL contests during his 14-year career. Brown has only played in six games this year and 11 during his NHL career.
Klesla and Brown will both report to AHL Hersey, the Caps have announced.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20