Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
Martin Erat asked, and he received.
The Capitals forward, who demanded a trade out of Washington in November, has been traded to Phoenix in exchange for Rostislav Klesla and forward Chris Brown.
Washington will also get a fourth-round pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, while the ‘Yotes will obtain the services of AHL forward John Mitchell.
The move marks the end of Erat’s disastrous stint in D.C. Acquired from Nashville at last year’s deadline in exchange for prospect Filip Forsberg, Erat failed to find his niche in Washington and struggled under head coach Adam Oates, eventually serving as a healthy scratch this season.
Erat has one goal and 23 assists in 51 games this year, with two years left on his deal at $4.5 million per. His lack of production has been a running theme but is slightly overblown and exacerbated by the paltry goal total — he’s actually has the fourth-most assist on the Caps, and eight points in his last nine games.
“We think Martin will excel at the way we play,” Phoenix GM Don Maloney explained. “I think he needs a breath of fresh air.”
As for what’s going to Washington…
Like Erat, Klesla fell out of favor in Phoenix this year and was placed on waivers, eventually spending some time with AHL Portland. The 31-year-old has just four points this season but is an experienced veteran presence, having played in over 650 NHL contests during his 14-year career. Brown has only played in six games this year and 11 during his NHL career.
Klesla and Brown will both report to AHL Hersey, the Caps have announced.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 43
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 11
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (43)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)