Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
Martin Erat asked, and he received.
The Capitals forward, who demanded a trade out of Washington in November, has been traded to Phoenix in exchange for Rostislav Klesla and forward Chris Brown.
Washington will also get a fourth-round pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, while the ‘Yotes will obtain the services of AHL forward John Mitchell.
The move marks the end of Erat’s disastrous stint in D.C. Acquired from Nashville at last year’s deadline in exchange for prospect Filip Forsberg, Erat failed to find his niche in Washington and struggled under head coach Adam Oates, eventually serving as a healthy scratch this season.
Erat has one goal and 23 assists in 51 games this year, with two years left on his deal at $4.5 million per. His lack of production has been a running theme but is slightly overblown and exacerbated by the paltry goal total — he’s actually has the fourth-most assist on the Caps, and eight points in his last nine games.
“We think Martin will excel at the way we play,” Phoenix GM Don Maloney explained. “I think he needs a breath of fresh air.”
As for what’s going to Washington…
Like Erat, Klesla fell out of favor in Phoenix this year and was placed on waivers, eventually spending some time with AHL Portland. The 31-year-old has just four points this season but is an experienced veteran presence, having played in over 650 NHL contests during his 14-year career. Brown has only played in six games this year and 11 during his NHL career.
Klesla and Brown will both report to AHL Hersey, the Caps have announced.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)