Mar 3, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
When it rains in Detroit, it pours.
On Monday, the club announced another series of injuries:
— Stephen Weiss suffered a setback in his recovery from a groin injury. “He had a bad day today,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Weiss, who has been on IR with a strained groin since mid-December (an injury that’s already cost him 34 games.) No word on how severe the setback is, or how much longer Weiss will be out.
— Pavel Datsyuk‘s on-again, off-again knee injury will keep him sidelined for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey. The club is hopeful he’ll return for Thursday’s game against the Avalanche, per the Macomb Daily.
To put it bluntly, the Red Wings have been a disaster in terms of health this year.
Several players have spent extensive time on IR and the club currently has four with that designation: Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Mikael Samuelsson and Henrik Zetterberg. The latter is perhaps most important, especially in light of the Weiss injury — the Wings had hoped Weiss would be able to fill some of the Zetterberg void, but this setback could keep the former Panthers center out longer than expected.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)