Mar 3, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
When it rains in Detroit, it pours.
On Monday, the club announced another series of injuries:
— Stephen Weiss suffered a setback in his recovery from a groin injury. “He had a bad day today,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Weiss, who has been on IR with a strained groin since mid-December (an injury that’s already cost him 34 games.) No word on how severe the setback is, or how much longer Weiss will be out.
— Pavel Datsyuk‘s on-again, off-again knee injury will keep him sidelined for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey. The club is hopeful he’ll return for Thursday’s game against the Avalanche, per the Macomb Daily.
To put it bluntly, the Red Wings have been a disaster in terms of health this year.
Several players have spent extensive time on IR and the club currently has four with that designation: Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Mikael Samuelsson and Henrik Zetterberg. The latter is perhaps most important, especially in light of the Weiss injury — the Wings had hoped Weiss would be able to fill some of the Zetterberg void, but this setback could keep the former Panthers center out longer than expected.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)