Mar 3, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
When it rains in Detroit, it pours.
On Monday, the club announced another series of injuries:
— Stephen Weiss suffered a setback in his recovery from a groin injury. “He had a bad day today,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Weiss, who has been on IR with a strained groin since mid-December (an injury that’s already cost him 34 games.) No word on how severe the setback is, or how much longer Weiss will be out.
— Pavel Datsyuk‘s on-again, off-again knee injury will keep him sidelined for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey. The club is hopeful he’ll return for Thursday’s game against the Avalanche, per the Macomb Daily.
To put it bluntly, the Red Wings have been a disaster in terms of health this year.
Several players have spent extensive time on IR and the club currently has four with that designation: Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Mikael Samuelsson and Henrik Zetterberg. The latter is perhaps most important, especially in light of the Weiss injury — the Wings had hoped Weiss would be able to fill some of the Zetterberg void, but this setback could keep the former Panthers center out longer than expected.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25