Mar 3, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
When it rains in Detroit, it pours.
On Monday, the club announced another series of injuries:
– Stephen Weiss suffered a setback in his recovery from a groin injury. “He had a bad day today,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Weiss, who has been on IR with a strained groin since mid-December (an injury that’s already cost him 34 games.) No word on how severe the setback is, or how much longer Weiss will be out.
– Pavel Datsyuk‘s on-again, off-again knee injury will keep him sidelined for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey. The club is hopeful he’ll return for Thursday’s game against the Avalanche, per the Macomb Daily.
To put it bluntly, the Red Wings have been a disaster in terms of health this year.
Several players have spent extensive time on IR and the club currently has four with that designation: Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Mikael Samuelsson and Henrik Zetterberg. The latter is perhaps most important, especially in light of the Weiss injury — the Wings had hoped Weiss would be able to fill some of the Zetterberg void, but this setback could keep the former Panthers center out longer than expected.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)