Mar 3, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
When it rains in Detroit, it pours.
On Monday, the club announced another series of injuries:
— Stephen Weiss suffered a setback in his recovery from a groin injury. “He had a bad day today,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Weiss, who has been on IR with a strained groin since mid-December (an injury that’s already cost him 34 games.) No word on how severe the setback is, or how much longer Weiss will be out.
— Pavel Datsyuk‘s on-again, off-again knee injury will keep him sidelined for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey. The club is hopeful he’ll return for Thursday’s game against the Avalanche, per the Macomb Daily.
To put it bluntly, the Red Wings have been a disaster in terms of health this year.
Several players have spent extensive time on IR and the club currently has four with that designation: Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Mikael Samuelsson and Henrik Zetterberg. The latter is perhaps most important, especially in light of the Weiss injury — the Wings had hoped Weiss would be able to fill some of the Zetterberg void, but this setback could keep the former Panthers center out longer than expected.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32