Mar 3, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff won 571 games as the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres, so it only seems fitting that his 600th came against his old team as the Dallas Stars bested Buffalo 3-2 on Monday.
Here’s video of the game-winning goal, which was credited to Alex Chiasson:
Whether they decide to dangle him in a trade or not, Stars veteran Ray Whitney had a nice night, collecting two assists. The Stars hammered 37 shots on Jhonas Enroth, who kept Buffalo in the game despite a serious disparity in play.
Chris Stewart didn’t have the greatest debut (or some wonder, lone appearance) in Buffalo, registering a -2 rating in 17:24 minutes. Jaroslav Halak watched the game – likely to keep him healthy in case the right trade offer comes – but Matt Moulson continues to pump up his trade value, as the forward added two assists today.
With the Minnesota Wild also winning today, the Stars kept pace with the West’s bubble teams. Here is how the West wild card race looks as of this evening:
Two wild card teams
Minnesota: 75 points in 62 games played
Dallas: 68 points in 61 GP
Bubble teams (cutoff at 60+ points)
Winnipeg: 66 points in 62 GP
Vancouver: 66 points in 63 GP
Phoenix: 65 points in 61 GP
Nashville: 62 points in 61 GP
Ruff already won his return home to Buffalo. It’s possible the former Sabres coach might just squeeze into the playoffs thanks in part to victories against Buffalo, but the Stars still have a long way to go.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)