Mar 3, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff won 571 games as the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres, so it only seems fitting that his 600th came against his old team as the Dallas Stars bested Buffalo 3-2 on Monday.
Here’s video of the game-winning goal, which was credited to Alex Chiasson:
Whether they decide to dangle him in a trade or not, Stars veteran Ray Whitney had a nice night, collecting two assists. The Stars hammered 37 shots on Jhonas Enroth, who kept Buffalo in the game despite a serious disparity in play.
Chris Stewart didn’t have the greatest debut (or some wonder, lone appearance) in Buffalo, registering a -2 rating in 17:24 minutes. Jaroslav Halak watched the game – likely to keep him healthy in case the right trade offer comes – but Matt Moulson continues to pump up his trade value, as the forward added two assists today.
With the Minnesota Wild also winning today, the Stars kept pace with the West’s bubble teams. Here is how the West wild card race looks as of this evening:
Two wild card teams
Minnesota: 75 points in 62 games played
Dallas: 68 points in 61 GP
Bubble teams (cutoff at 60+ points)
Winnipeg: 66 points in 62 GP
Vancouver: 66 points in 63 GP
Phoenix: 65 points in 61 GP
Nashville: 62 points in 61 GP
Ruff already won his return home to Buffalo. It’s possible the former Sabres coach might just squeeze into the playoffs thanks in part to victories against Buffalo, but the Stars still have a long way to go.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18