Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EST
From ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He’s got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What’s better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.
I don’t think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.
We welcomed Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill last week, noting there’s lots to like about his contract. However, one thing that’s a potential problem down the line is the cap recapture clause in the new CBA. If Ehrhoff doesn’t feel like playing for a mere* $1 million per season in the final three years of his contract, unless his team can somehow find a way to put him on long-term injured reserve, a penalty would be assessed.
Ehrhoff would, however, seem to be a fit on a Wings blue line that used to boast the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski. Today, Niklas Kronwall is the only d-man who puts up a respectable number of points.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4