Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He’s got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What’s better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.
I don’t think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.
We welcomed Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill last week, noting there’s lots to like about his contract. However, one thing that’s a potential problem down the line is the cap recapture clause in the new CBA. If Ehrhoff doesn’t feel like playing for a mere* $1 million per season in the final three years of his contract, unless his team can somehow find a way to put him on long-term injured reserve, a penalty would be assessed.
Ehrhoff would, however, seem to be a fit on a Wings blue line that used to boast the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski. Today, Niklas Kronwall is the only d-man who puts up a respectable number of points.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)