Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He’s got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What’s better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.
I don’t think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.
We welcomed Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill last week, noting there’s lots to like about his contract. However, one thing that’s a potential problem down the line is the cap recapture clause in the new CBA. If Ehrhoff doesn’t feel like playing for a mere* $1 million per season in the final three years of his contract, unless his team can somehow find a way to put him on long-term injured reserve, a penalty would be assessed.
Ehrhoff would, however, seem to be a fit on a Wings blue line that used to boast the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski. Today, Niklas Kronwall is the only d-man who puts up a respectable number of points.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (90)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)