Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He’s got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What’s better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.
I don’t think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.
We welcomed Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill last week, noting there’s lots to like about his contract. However, one thing that’s a potential problem down the line is the cap recapture clause in the new CBA. If Ehrhoff doesn’t feel like playing for a mere* $1 million per season in the final three years of his contract, unless his team can somehow find a way to put him on long-term injured reserve, a penalty would be assessed.
Ehrhoff would, however, seem to be a fit on a Wings blue line that used to boast the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski. Today, Niklas Kronwall is the only d-man who puts up a respectable number of points.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)