Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The Red Wings are believed to be among teams interested in defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, whom the Sabres are shopping. He’s got seven more years on his deal after this season, at a $4 million cap hit. What’s better, though, is that $22 million of that 10-year, $40 million deal will have been paid off by the end of this season because it was front-loaded.
I don’t think the Wings would overpay to get him but he would fill a need for a top-four, offensively minded defenseman.
We welcomed Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill last week, noting there’s lots to like about his contract. However, one thing that’s a potential problem down the line is the cap recapture clause in the new CBA. If Ehrhoff doesn’t feel like playing for a mere* $1 million per season in the final three years of his contract, unless his team can somehow find a way to put him on long-term injured reserve, a penalty would be assessed.
Ehrhoff would, however, seem to be a fit on a Wings blue line that used to boast the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski. Today, Niklas Kronwall is the only d-man who puts up a respectable number of points.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)