Mar 3, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
In all likelihood, the St. Louis Blues wouldn’t have given up so much to get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo if they didn’t think they had a very good chance of signing him beyond the end of the current season, should they so wish to do so after the playoffs, or sooner.
Still, they probably liked Miller’s answer when he was asked about his openness to staying long-term with his new club.
“I’m very open to it,” the 33-year-old pending unrestricted free agent said, per the Post-Dispatch. “But right now, it’s more about the hockey. We’re going to have a lot of time later on to feel that out.”
Not that he’d have unlimited options to sign elsewhere this summer, even if he performs well in the postseason. The goalie market is different than the market for forwards and defensemen, in that there are only 30 starting jobs available. On top of that, even the teams that don’t already have their guy locked up may be tempted to go young and cheap, rather than back up the money truck for Miller, who’s neither young nor cheap.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)