Mar 3, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Chicago will be without the services of Marian Hossa for the next 2-3 weeks due to an injury suffered during Saturday’s 5-1 win over Pittsburgh at Soldier Field, head coach Joel Quenneville announced.
Hossa, 35, left the game with 6:34 remaining in the first period and didn’t return to the ice. The Blackhawks then announced he’d miss the remainder of the game with an upper-body issue — all told, Hossa played just six shifts and had 4:18 of ice time before leaving.
It’s expected that Brandon Saad will elevate to a top-line winger role in Hossa’s absence, lining up alongside Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp. Quenneville also said the club might look at calling someone up from AHL Rockford — on that, it’s worth noting the ‘Hawks flipped Brandon Pirri to Florida on Sunday. The former second-round pick had 13 points in 35 games with Chicago over the last four seasons.
Regardless of who fills in, it’ll be difficult replacing Hossa’s production. The Slovakian had 50 points in 57 games this year while averaging over 18 minutes per night.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)