Mar 3, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Last Wednesday, it was unclear if Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen would even be able to play after dealing with concussion symptoms. It turns out that he played well enough to head the NHL’s three stars of the week alongside second-place finisher Adam Henrique and third-place finisher Darcy Kuemper.
Franzen, 34: Scored three goals and two assists for five points in two games. His hat trick helped Andrew Hammond notch his first NHL appearance. He also got into a war of words with Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil, who called him “gutless” for backing down from a fight. Franzen clearly got the last laugh as Detroit won both of its games.
He has 28 points in 33 games this season.
Henrique, 24: The New Jersey Devils forward might have fresher legs after the Olympic break, as he recorded three straight two-point games for six points in the past week’s trio of contests. He’s clearly firing more shots on goal, too, as he had 12 in those three games. The Devils’ playoff odds could rise if Henrique provides quality secondary scoring with regularity.
Kuemper, 23: Josh Harding isn’t the only Minnesota Wild to have a surprising hot streak. Kuemper notched a shutout and only allowed one goal in two wins this past week to help Minnesota retain its playoff spot. Extending back before the Olympic break, Kuemper has a four-game winning streak going. The Wild may very well dismiss any urge to grab a goalie at the trade deadline thanks to Kuemper’s strong work while Niklas Backstrom struggles and Harding deals with health complications.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22