Mar 3, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Last Wednesday, it was unclear if Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen would even be able to play after dealing with concussion symptoms. It turns out that he played well enough to head the NHL’s three stars of the week alongside second-place finisher Adam Henrique and third-place finisher Darcy Kuemper.
Franzen, 34: Scored three goals and two assists for five points in two games. His hat trick helped Andrew Hammond notch his first NHL appearance. He also got into a war of words with Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil, who called him “gutless” for backing down from a fight. Franzen clearly got the last laugh as Detroit won both of its games.
He has 28 points in 33 games this season.
Henrique, 24: The New Jersey Devils forward might have fresher legs after the Olympic break, as he recorded three straight two-point games for six points in the past week’s trio of contests. He’s clearly firing more shots on goal, too, as he had 12 in those three games. The Devils’ playoff odds could rise if Henrique provides quality secondary scoring with regularity.
Kuemper, 23: Josh Harding isn’t the only Minnesota Wild to have a surprising hot streak. Kuemper notched a shutout and only allowed one goal in two wins this past week to help Minnesota retain its playoff spot. Extending back before the Olympic break, Kuemper has a four-game winning streak going. The Wild may very well dismiss any urge to grab a goalie at the trade deadline thanks to Kuemper’s strong work while Niklas Backstrom struggles and Harding deals with health complications.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)