Mar 3, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas hasn’t played since Nov. 29 due to a frightening injury, yet NHL teams are showing the veteran blueliner some serious interest as the trade deadline approaches.
One anonymous NHL executive told CSNNE.com that the 36-year-old “will be moved” and named the Boston Bruins as a leading candidate.
“A lot of teams covet [Robidas],” The executive said. “He’s a veteran right-hander that competes like a bastard. He’d be a perfect fit for the Bruins.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie backs up that report, also adding the Anaheim Ducks to the list of teams that would likely be most interested in the one-time All-Star.
Robidas seems like the prototypical missing piece defenseman from a playoff standpoint despite being absent from the postseason since the 2007-08 campaign. He can play a rough, penalty-killing role but also has some offensive potential with 41-point and 30-point seasons on his resume.
Again, there’s extra risk involved considering that he’s recovering from a broken leg, but teams seem willing to take that gamble on the pending unrestricted free agent.
Also of note regarding the Stars at the trade deadline: GM Jim Nill told ESPN that they’re open-minded to trades but aren’t looking for “rentals.” They might just sell Robidas off as one, however.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)