Mar 3, 2014, 11:26 PM EST
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas hasn’t played since Nov. 29 due to a frightening injury, yet NHL teams are showing the veteran blueliner some serious interest as the trade deadline approaches.
One anonymous NHL executive told CSNNE.com that the 36-year-old “will be moved” and named the Boston Bruins as a leading candidate.
“A lot of teams covet [Robidas],” The executive said. “He’s a veteran right-hander that competes like a bastard. He’d be a perfect fit for the Bruins.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie backs up that report, also adding the Anaheim Ducks to the list of teams that would likely be most interested in the one-time All-Star.
Robidas seems like the prototypical missing piece defenseman from a playoff standpoint despite being absent from the postseason since the 2007-08 campaign. He can play a rough, penalty-killing role but also has some offensive potential with 41-point and 30-point seasons on his resume.
Again, there’s extra risk involved considering that he’s recovering from a broken leg, but teams seem willing to take that gamble on the pending unrestricted free agent.
Also of note regarding the Stars at the trade deadline: GM Jim Nill told ESPN that they’re open-minded to trades but aren’t looking for “rentals.” They might just sell Robidas off as one, however.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)