Mar 3, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas hasn’t played since Nov. 29 due to a frightening injury, yet NHL teams are showing the veteran blueliner some serious interest as the trade deadline approaches.
One anonymous NHL executive told CSNNE.com that the 36-year-old “will be moved” and named the Boston Bruins as a leading candidate.
“A lot of teams covet [Robidas],” The executive said. “He’s a veteran right-hander that competes like a bastard. He’d be a perfect fit for the Bruins.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie backs up that report, also adding the Anaheim Ducks to the list of teams that would likely be most interested in the one-time All-Star.
Robidas seems like the prototypical missing piece defenseman from a playoff standpoint despite being absent from the postseason since the 2007-08 campaign. He can play a rough, penalty-killing role but also has some offensive potential with 41-point and 30-point seasons on his resume.
Again, there’s extra risk involved considering that he’s recovering from a broken leg, but teams seem willing to take that gamble on the pending unrestricted free agent.
Also of note regarding the Stars at the trade deadline: GM Jim Nill told ESPN that they’re open-minded to trades but aren’t looking for “rentals.” They might just sell Robidas off as one, however.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 14
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)