Mar 3, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas hasn’t played since Nov. 29 due to a frightening injury, yet NHL teams are showing the veteran blueliner some serious interest as the trade deadline approaches.
One anonymous NHL executive told CSNNE.com that the 36-year-old “will be moved” and named the Boston Bruins as a leading candidate.
“A lot of teams covet [Robidas],” The executive said. “He’s a veteran right-hander that competes like a bastard. He’d be a perfect fit for the Bruins.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie backs up that report, also adding the Anaheim Ducks to the list of teams that would likely be most interested in the one-time All-Star.
Robidas seems like the prototypical missing piece defenseman from a playoff standpoint despite being absent from the postseason since the 2007-08 campaign. He can play a rough, penalty-killing role but also has some offensive potential with 41-point and 30-point seasons on his resume.
Again, there’s extra risk involved considering that he’s recovering from a broken leg, but teams seem willing to take that gamble on the pending unrestricted free agent.
Also of note regarding the Stars at the trade deadline: GM Jim Nill told ESPN that they’re open-minded to trades but aren’t looking for “rentals.” They might just sell Robidas off as one, however.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)