Chicago signs Bollig to three-year, $3.75 million extension

Mar 3, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT

SAN JOSE, CA - FEBRUARY 01: Brandon Bollig #52 of the Chicago Blackhawks skates during pre-game warm ups prior to playing the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on February 1, 2014 in San Jose, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images) Getty Images

Brandon Bollig has agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $3.75 million with the Chicago Blackhawks, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

He was set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, but now that he’s locked up, Chicago only has four players on its active roster that are still eligible to leave the team on July 1. Although the Blackhawks have made some trades since winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in four campaigns, their primary focus has been on keeping their current core intact.

Bollig is a late bloomer, playing in his first full NHL season at the age of 27. He has just 12 points in 62 games, but leads the team with 138 hits.

With Bollig signed, Chicago has a little over $65.1 million committed to 17 players for the 2014-15, per Cap Geek. With all their major players signed through next season, that’s not much of a concern, but it still means that they’re unlikely to make a big splash during the free agent period this summer.

1. esracerx46 - Mar 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Ugh. Was looking forward to seeing him gone. Sure he plays a physical game and has improved as a hockey player. But, I think a 4th line player should be able to take a regular shift on the PK.

Hawks don’t need to make a big splash in FA. The problem is going to be 2015-2016. Saad,Toews, Kane, and Kruger.

• pone27 - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

We are usually on the same page esracer, but I think I like this one. 1.25 mil/yr is nothing too crazy. Granted I do agree that he is just a 4th liner for the Hawks, I am sure we can agree that when he is on the ice, he brings a ton of tenacity and well he obviously can lay hits. He doesn’t hurt the team when he is out there, which is what you want from your 4th liner.

I agree with 4th liners taking on shifts on the PK, but the Hawks have a ton of guys to choose from to be on the PK.

2015-16 is going to be scary…. You can add Leddy, Oduya to the list as well. I think we might be seeing Hossa and Bicks gone by then though.

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Fear not, friend. Bowman knows exactly what he’s doing. Keep in mind the cap will increase each year. He’ll have plenty of room to re-sign the stars, and realistically Hoss only has a couple years left in the tank anyway. Bicks has time to prove he’s worthy of his contract too, he just needs a full healthy season.

I’m happy with this move. Bollig has certainly come a long way in his development and provides what little grit the team needs.

Reporters are always focused on the “big splash” trades and FA signings. But how often do the big moves result in big success? Not very. Let the other clubs make headlines with trades. Chicago will make headlines with Cups.

• dadawg77 - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

The new TV contracts make 15-16 less scary.

• bsaures - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

You do realize if Hossa retire before his contract is up they will be a recapture penalty that could be in the neighbourhood of 4 million per year. until 2021

• esracerx46 - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I have a feeling Leddy and/or Oduya will be gone before next season begins. They have Clendening and Johns ready to step in, As well as Klas Dahlbeck. All three are right handed shots however. Bickell as a wicked wrister, but he has that same problem so many big guys do. He struggles with consistency and doesn’t use his body enough. I’d be ok with him going bye bye, especially with his cap hit. I don’t mind Bollig playing the fourth line. The problem I have is with the amount of ice time he’s getting. Smith and Kruger deserve every second they get, Bollig not so much. He has his use, but I think the Hawks have other guys in the system that would do more than Bollig.

• esracerx46 - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM

The cap recapture would vary depending on when he would retire. With that said, Hossa could always be traded along with someone else to a team willing to take him.

• bsaures - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

With the way the recapture works even if they trade him they will still have the majority of the penalty.

• wjarvis - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

The Hossa recapture isn’t really that bad. Either way it’ll be a $5 million cap hit for a $1 million dollar player. Whether that player is a 40 year old Hossa, or a young player the Hawks are only paying $1 million + $4 million recapture penalty. Of course I can only say that because he was a key piece in the Hawks winning two cups so far, partly because his lowered cap hit allowed the hawks to sign better depth players.

• bsaures - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM

It actually is pretty bad because your overlooking the fact that not only do you have 4 million in recapture but you also have to replace Hossa with a player of his calibre in the lineup. Players like Hossa easily can garner 6+ million per year (Hossa without the cap circumventing 1 million dollar years would be 7.4) so to replace him at that point would cost 10+ million dollars.

• wjarvis - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I still feel the recapture is not that much worse than the contract itself, you can argue whether the contract was a good idea but that’s a different argument. In a few years the Hawks will have to replace Hossa’s impact regardless of whether Hossa is playing or not. Hossa as he approaches and passes 40 is not going to play like a $5 million player, but that is what his cap hit will be. Replacing the impact of an often injured, 40 year old player can be done pretty cheap.

2. comeonnowguys - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

“Ugh” is about the the perfect word for it.

3. withseidelinn - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

A little steep I think.

4. thesportsjudge - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Didn’t Chicago already give an over-rated 4th liner 4 mil a year?

• gret9 - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Cleary Bowman didn’t realize that Bicks was going to be Q’s replacement for the Stahlberg/Leddy combo of designated whipping boys.

After the Kane/Toews/Bickell line dominated in the playoffs, he gave them about 4 periods to produce this year before he broke them up. Q is a great coach obviously, but he just doesn’t want Bickell in the Top 6 and he can’t stand to play Toews and Kane together, other than right after a penalty because Hoss is on the 2nd unit, always making comments about balance.

It doesn’t seem balanced to me to have your two best defensive forwards, Toews and Hossa on the same line, but I haven’t coached to Stanley Cup Champs so I will defer to him.

And this is just mho, but I also wish Q would leave Saad on Kane’s line. Saad is clearly a Top 6 forward and I think Steeger is a better fit on the third line.

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Agree agree agree

• thesportsjudge - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I thumbs-upped your well thought out, well worded comment. I applaud posts(or responses) like this.

5. wjarvis - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Before the season started I was hoping that the Hawks would get rid of Bollig, but he’s played much better this year, adding a little bit of offense and not nearly as much of a defensive liability. At this point I’d rather pay Bollig what is still well below the average NHL salary then have the Hawks try to bring in someone like John Scott again for half the price.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches