Mar 2, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
These things, no matter good a player one might be, happen in hockey. The own goal, and it’s often a spectacular and dreadful spectacle.
Brent Seabrook knows. The Chicago Blackhawks defenseman one-timed the puck into a wide open net in the third period of Saturday’s Stadium Series game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Only problem: he slammed the puck into his own net.
James Neal, who threw a blind pass out front, got credit for the goal. Despite the gaffe – Seabrook threw his head up in disgust the second he saw the puck hit the back of the net – the Blackhawks still won by a final score of 5-1.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 44
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31