Mar 2, 2014, 1:15 AM EST
Sean Monahan opened the scoring and finished it for the Calgary Flames on Saturday.
The Flames’ 19-year-old rookie, and sixth overall pick in last year’s NHL Draft, scored the winning goal in overtime to lift Calgary to a 2-1 victory over their rivals from Alberta, the Edmonton Oilers. Monahan is now up to 18 goals on the season. According to a tweet from the NHL, Monahan is the youngest player in Flames history to score in overtime.
David Perron scored the lone goal for the Oilers, who ran the risk of being shut out on home ice for the second straight game coming out the Olympic break.
This one featured a scary moment in the first period, when Flames’ forward Kevin Westgarth fell hard to the ice after taking a punch to the face in a fight with Oilers’ forward Luke Gazdic. Westgarth left the game and did not return.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)