Mar 2, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Update: The NHL will hold a telephone hearing with Orlov on Monday afternoon.
Washington Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov already made a big impact on Sunday’s game with two goals against the Philadelphia Flyers, but he gave Philly a five-minute power-play opportunity thanks to this hit on Brayden Schenn:
Many believe that a) Orlov should have been ejected from the game and b) that this could be a suspension-worthy hit. Orlov, 22, received a five-minute charging major on the play after losing his cool following a hard hit by Schenn.
The Flyers scored a goal on that power play to cut a 4-2 Capitals lead to 4-3. Philly eventually won 5-4 in OT.
Orlov hasn’t ever been suspended at the NHL level.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)