Mar 2, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Amid a miserable weekend (and month, really) for the New York Islanders, Thomas Vanek‘s three-point output might have to do as a bright spot.
The 30-year-old trade target scored the first two goals in Sunday’s game against the Florida Panthers and added a primary assist on a Ryan Strome tally, but it wasn’t enough. The Panthers rattled off four unanswered goals to win 5-3 on Sunday.
This comes after the New Jersey Devils trounced the Islanders 6-1 on Saturday … and big picture-wise, after the Islanders lost John Tavares to a season-ending injury. (Hey, at least someone else is paying his salary for a while, though.)
Indeed, things have been rough lately, so focusing on the future might be wisest. In that regard, Vanek does indeed bring trade value; this three-game output gives him six points in his last five contests.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)