Mar 2, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
Amid a miserable weekend (and month, really) for the New York Islanders, Thomas Vanek‘s three-point output might have to do as a bright spot.
The 30-year-old trade target scored the first two goals in Sunday’s game against the Florida Panthers and added a primary assist on a Ryan Strome tally, but it wasn’t enough. The Panthers rattled off four unanswered goals to win 5-3 on Sunday.
This comes after the New Jersey Devils trounced the Islanders 6-1 on Saturday … and big picture-wise, after the Islanders lost John Tavares to a season-ending injury. (Hey, at least someone else is paying his salary for a while, though.)
Indeed, things have been rough lately, so focusing on the future might be wisest. In that regard, Vanek does indeed bring trade value; this three-game output gives him six points in his last five contests.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)