Mar 2, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Amid a miserable weekend (and month, really) for the New York Islanders, Thomas Vanek‘s three-point output might have to do as a bright spot.
The 30-year-old trade target scored the first two goals in Sunday’s game against the Florida Panthers and added a primary assist on a Ryan Strome tally, but it wasn’t enough. The Panthers rattled off four unanswered goals to win 5-3 on Sunday.
This comes after the New Jersey Devils trounced the Islanders 6-1 on Saturday … and big picture-wise, after the Islanders lost John Tavares to a season-ending injury. (Hey, at least someone else is paying his salary for a while, though.)
Indeed, things have been rough lately, so focusing on the future might be wisest. In that regard, Vanek does indeed bring trade value; this three-game output gives him six points in his last five contests.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)