Mar 2, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Amid a miserable weekend (and month, really) for the New York Islanders, Thomas Vanek‘s three-point output might have to do as a bright spot.
The 30-year-old trade target scored the first two goals in Sunday’s game against the Florida Panthers and added a primary assist on a Ryan Strome tally, but it wasn’t enough. The Panthers rattled off four unanswered goals to win 5-3 on Sunday.
This comes after the New Jersey Devils trounced the Islanders 6-1 on Saturday … and big picture-wise, after the Islanders lost John Tavares to a season-ending injury. (Hey, at least someone else is paying his salary for a while, though.)
Indeed, things have been rough lately, so focusing on the future might be wisest. In that regard, Vanek does indeed bring trade value; this three-game output gives him six points in his last five contests.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)