Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers traded for Chicago Blackhawks forward Brandon Pirri on Sunday, sending a third-rounder in 2014 and fifth-round pick in 2016 back in the deal.
Pirri, 22, was drafted 59th overall by Chicago in the 2009 NHL Draft. He has 13 points in 35 NHL games spread over three seasons, including 11 in 28 games in 2013-14. He’s been more or less a point-per-game player in the AHL, as well, as he scored 26 points in 26 games for the Rockford IceHogs this season after generating 75 in 76 games in 2012-13.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers believes that this move could open up space for hot Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen to make a late-season impact.
Tallon loves to load up on ‘Hawks
It’s pretty much impossible to avoid mentioning that Panthers GM Dale Tallon once served as Chicago’s general manager.
He’s clearly not adverse to making moves with his former team, as he also sent Kris Versteeg to Chicago (after once acquiring the former ‘Hawks winger from Toronto) in a deal that netted Florida prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen in November. Going further, key current Panthers who rank as former Blackhawks include Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell.
The Panthers aren’t the only team with a significant part of its foundation taken from Chicago; the Winnipeg Jets feature Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd while their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff also worked for the Blackhawks organization.
Pirri likely has a better chance to reach his ceiling in Florida than with Chicago, so the deal makes sense for both sides.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)