Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
The Florida Panthers traded for Chicago Blackhawks forward Brandon Pirri on Sunday, sending a third-rounder in 2014 and fifth-round pick in 2016 back in the deal.
Pirri, 22, was drafted 59th overall by Chicago in the 2009 NHL Draft. He has 13 points in 35 NHL games spread over three seasons, including 11 in 28 games in 2013-14. He’s been more or less a point-per-game player in the AHL, as well, as he scored 26 points in 26 games for the Rockford IceHogs this season after generating 75 in 76 games in 2012-13.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers believes that this move could open up space for hot Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen to make a late-season impact.
Tallon loves to load up on ‘Hawks
It’s pretty much impossible to avoid mentioning that Panthers GM Dale Tallon once served as Chicago’s general manager.
He’s clearly not adverse to making moves with his former team, as he also sent Kris Versteeg to Chicago (after once acquiring the former ‘Hawks winger from Toronto) in a deal that netted Florida prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen in November. Going further, key current Panthers who rank as former Blackhawks include Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell.
The Panthers aren’t the only team with a significant part of its foundation taken from Chicago; the Winnipeg Jets feature Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd while their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff also worked for the Blackhawks organization.
Pirri likely has a better chance to reach his ceiling in Florida than with Chicago, so the deal makes sense for both sides.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)