Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers traded for Chicago Blackhawks forward Brandon Pirri on Sunday, sending a third-rounder in 2014 and fifth-round pick in 2016 back in the deal.
Pirri, 22, was drafted 59th overall by Chicago in the 2009 NHL Draft. He has 13 points in 35 NHL games spread over three seasons, including 11 in 28 games in 2013-14. He’s been more or less a point-per-game player in the AHL, as well, as he scored 26 points in 26 games for the Rockford IceHogs this season after generating 75 in 76 games in 2012-13.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers believes that this move could open up space for hot Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen to make a late-season impact.
Tallon loves to load up on ‘Hawks
It’s pretty much impossible to avoid mentioning that Panthers GM Dale Tallon once served as Chicago’s general manager.
He’s clearly not adverse to making moves with his former team, as he also sent Kris Versteeg to Chicago (after once acquiring the former ‘Hawks winger from Toronto) in a deal that netted Florida prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen in November. Going further, key current Panthers who rank as former Blackhawks include Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell.
The Panthers aren’t the only team with a significant part of its foundation taken from Chicago; the Winnipeg Jets feature Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd while their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff also worked for the Blackhawks organization.
Pirri likely has a better chance to reach his ceiling in Florida than with Chicago, so the deal makes sense for both sides.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)