Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers traded for Chicago Blackhawks forward Brandon Pirri on Sunday, sending a third-rounder in 2014 and fifth-round pick in 2016 back in the deal.
Pirri, 22, was drafted 59th overall by Chicago in the 2009 NHL Draft. He has 13 points in 35 NHL games spread over three seasons, including 11 in 28 games in 2013-14. He’s been more or less a point-per-game player in the AHL, as well, as he scored 26 points in 26 games for the Rockford IceHogs this season after generating 75 in 76 games in 2012-13.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers believes that this move could open up space for hot Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen to make a late-season impact.
Tallon loves to load up on ‘Hawks
It’s pretty much impossible to avoid mentioning that Panthers GM Dale Tallon once served as Chicago’s general manager.
He’s clearly not adverse to making moves with his former team, as he also sent Kris Versteeg to Chicago (after once acquiring the former ‘Hawks winger from Toronto) in a deal that netted Florida prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen in November. Going further, key current Panthers who rank as former Blackhawks include Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell.
The Panthers aren’t the only team with a significant part of its foundation taken from Chicago; the Winnipeg Jets feature Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd while their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff also worked for the Blackhawks organization.
Pirri likely has a better chance to reach his ceiling in Florida than with Chicago, so the deal makes sense for both sides.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)