Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers traded for Chicago Blackhawks forward Brandon Pirri on Sunday, sending a third-rounder in 2014 and fifth-round pick in 2016 back in the deal.
Pirri, 22, was drafted 59th overall by Chicago in the 2009 NHL Draft. He has 13 points in 35 NHL games spread over three seasons, including 11 in 28 games in 2013-14. He’s been more or less a point-per-game player in the AHL, as well, as he scored 26 points in 26 games for the Rockford IceHogs this season after generating 75 in 76 games in 2012-13.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers believes that this move could open up space for hot Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen to make a late-season impact.
Tallon loves to load up on ‘Hawks
It’s pretty much impossible to avoid mentioning that Panthers GM Dale Tallon once served as Chicago’s general manager.
He’s clearly not adverse to making moves with his former team, as he also sent Kris Versteeg to Chicago (after once acquiring the former ‘Hawks winger from Toronto) in a deal that netted Florida prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen in November. Going further, key current Panthers who rank as former Blackhawks include Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell.
The Panthers aren’t the only team with a significant part of its foundation taken from Chicago; the Winnipeg Jets feature Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd while their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff also worked for the Blackhawks organization.
Pirri likely has a better chance to reach his ceiling in Florida than with Chicago, so the deal makes sense for both sides.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)