Mar 2, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Nashville is getting its franchise goalie back.
On Sunday, the Preds announced that Pekka Rinne was returning to Nashville after a successful two-game stint in AHL Milwaukee over the weekend — and, what’s more, Rinne could return to the starter’s crease as early as Tuesday, when the Preds host the Penguins at Bridgestone. It would be Rinne’s first start in 52 games.
Here’s more, from The Tennessean:
Rinne stopped 33 of 35 shots on goal over the weekend — his first two starts since Oct. 22. Rinne has been out since then with a hip infection. Nashville’s two-time Vezina Trophy finalist also had a hip arthroscopy in May.
“It was great. I couldn’t be happier. It has been a long time since playing games,” Rinne said. “It was a great opportunity for me to come down to Milwaukee, and kind of went both ways. I feel like I was able to help the team a little bit and they helped me for getting back into game action.”
When asked whether he could play Tuesday against the Penguins, Rinne said, “I’m ready to go, absolutely.”
Nashville will be keen to get Rinne back in the mix. The Preds lost a tough 3-1 decision to Winnipeg at Bridgestone, a game in which Carter Hutton was largely outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec — dropping Hutton to 1-2-2 over his last five.
With the loss, the Preds now sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference with just 21 games remaining in the regular season.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)