Mar 2, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Nashville is getting its franchise goalie back.
On Sunday, the Preds announced that Pekka Rinne was returning to Nashville after a successful two-game stint in AHL Milwaukee over the weekend — and, what’s more, Rinne could return to the starter’s crease as early as Tuesday, when the Preds host the Penguins at Bridgestone. It would be Rinne’s first start in 52 games.
Here’s more, from The Tennessean:
Rinne stopped 33 of 35 shots on goal over the weekend — his first two starts since Oct. 22. Rinne has been out since then with a hip infection. Nashville’s two-time Vezina Trophy finalist also had a hip arthroscopy in May.
“It was great. I couldn’t be happier. It has been a long time since playing games,” Rinne said. “It was a great opportunity for me to come down to Milwaukee, and kind of went both ways. I feel like I was able to help the team a little bit and they helped me for getting back into game action.”
When asked whether he could play Tuesday against the Penguins, Rinne said, “I’m ready to go, absolutely.”
Nashville will be keen to get Rinne back in the mix. The Preds lost a tough 3-1 decision to Winnipeg at Bridgestone, a game in which Carter Hutton was largely outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec — dropping Hutton to 1-2-2 over his last five.
With the loss, the Preds now sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference with just 21 games remaining in the regular season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)