Mar 2, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Nashville is getting its franchise goalie back.
On Sunday, the Preds announced that Pekka Rinne was returning to Nashville after a successful two-game stint in AHL Milwaukee over the weekend — and, what’s more, Rinne could return to the starter’s crease as early as Tuesday, when the Preds host the Penguins at Bridgestone. It would be Rinne’s first start in 52 games.
Here’s more, from The Tennessean:
Rinne stopped 33 of 35 shots on goal over the weekend — his first two starts since Oct. 22. Rinne has been out since then with a hip infection. Nashville’s two-time Vezina Trophy finalist also had a hip arthroscopy in May.
“It was great. I couldn’t be happier. It has been a long time since playing games,” Rinne said. “It was a great opportunity for me to come down to Milwaukee, and kind of went both ways. I feel like I was able to help the team a little bit and they helped me for getting back into game action.”
When asked whether he could play Tuesday against the Penguins, Rinne said, “I’m ready to go, absolutely.”
Nashville will be keen to get Rinne back in the mix. The Preds lost a tough 3-1 decision to Winnipeg at Bridgestone, a game in which Carter Hutton was largely outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec — dropping Hutton to 1-2-2 over his last five.
With the loss, the Preds now sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference with just 21 games remaining in the regular season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)