Mar 2, 2014, 11:59 PM EST
Nashville is getting its franchise goalie back.
On Sunday, the Preds announced that Pekka Rinne was returning to Nashville after a successful two-game stint in AHL Milwaukee over the weekend — and, what’s more, Rinne could return to the starter’s crease as early as Tuesday, when the Preds host the Penguins at Bridgestone. It would be Rinne’s first start in 52 games.
Here’s more, from The Tennessean:
Rinne stopped 33 of 35 shots on goal over the weekend — his first two starts since Oct. 22. Rinne has been out since then with a hip infection. Nashville’s two-time Vezina Trophy finalist also had a hip arthroscopy in May.
“It was great. I couldn’t be happier. It has been a long time since playing games,” Rinne said. “It was a great opportunity for me to come down to Milwaukee, and kind of went both ways. I feel like I was able to help the team a little bit and they helped me for getting back into game action.”
When asked whether he could play Tuesday against the Penguins, Rinne said, “I’m ready to go, absolutely.”
Nashville will be keen to get Rinne back in the mix. The Preds lost a tough 3-1 decision to Winnipeg at Bridgestone, a game in which Carter Hutton was largely outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec — dropping Hutton to 1-2-2 over his last five.
With the loss, the Preds now sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference with just 21 games remaining in the regular season.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)