‘Our team wasn’t at the level we needed,’ says Penguins coach Bylsma

Mar 2, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks were the better team on Saturday, in a snowy Stadium Series game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Soldier Field. And Penguins’ head coach Dan Bylsma knew it.

He was blunt in his remarks of his team’s play in a 5-1 loss to the host Blackhawks, not using the wintery conditions as an excuse – even if the constant snowfall made it next to impossible for the skilled players to handle the puck.

“It wouldn’t have mattered if we played this game inside or outside or if there was snow or no snow. They were better and
more prepared to play, whatever the conditions were. And the first half of the game was a large indication of that,” Bylsma told reporters after the game.

“They played to their advantage of being in the offensive zone, they executed better getting there, and they were that team, and we were not.”

The lone Pittsburgh goal was credited to James Neal, although it was Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook who one-timed the puck into his own wide open net in the third period. For the Penguins, Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz, two of Pittsburgh’s most dangerous offensive players, were held off the score sheet.

“Our team wasn’t at the level we needed to be, and they were. And you saw that. You saw that pretty much right from the get-go in this game,” said Bylsma.

1. blomfeld - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM

FU Bylsma !

Friends, this is the same ‘pig’ who tried to make a mockery of Comrade Quick and Captain Brown, there in the Caucuses. Well lo and behold, lookey here, the good Lord sure does act in mysterious ways eh ? :)

• bsaures - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I think that is the most downvotes I have seen on PHT congrats blomfeld you win the internets most coveted award the golden Dbag.

2. djshnooks - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Yeah, neither was USA, Dan.

• badgerhockey77 - Mar 2, 2014 at 3:05 AM

Damn…you beat me to it!

• mrpinkca - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I mean technically Blomfeld beat you both to it. He just phrased it differently.

3. muckleflugga - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:11 AM

steady on there blomfeld

bylsma is a king’s alumnus which by all accounts should render him worthy of sainthood rather than swinehood by your learned self

he’s a bit of a brainy type as well … and an honest man is our dan

lumbered with the task of dealing with conflicting egos on a team divided … too few getting too much is always a recipe for disaster

keeping that zoo on top would try a saint

• blomfeld - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM

STAND DOWN FLUGGA

“bylsma is a king’s alumnus” ? …

I suppose that’s true, no less than excrement could be considered an ‘alumnus’ of one’s own digestive system. Look, the bottom line friend is that Bylsma attempted to ‘humiliate’ both Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick there in the Caucuses and for that he will pay dearly. And that’s not even mentioning the ‘significant’ damage which he inflicted upon the ‘good name’ of American hockey in international circles.

4. pitpenguinsrulez - Mar 2, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Of course we weren’t at our level Dan. I mean maybe you could’ve made some adjustments during the game?! Oh wait that’s right you never make adjustments! Funny how this game reminded me of the Boston series. I swear if we don’t make the Cup Final then he needs FIRED!!!!!

Rob Scuderi sure is good at screening Fleury and I guess Brooks Orpik forgot that he couldve hit Toews but instead he allows Toews to score a beauty. Our defense looked quite abysmal in this game. The most common theme was either a 2 or 3 on 1 for Chicago all night long. Anyone blaming Fleury tonight needs to get his or her brain examined. He was our best player tonight.

Tonight’s performance is just not acceptable at all. Chicago out played us from the start and deserved to win.

5. penguins87and71 - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Way to state the obvious Byslma. I know I’m going to get ripped for saying this but maybe after Byslma’s contract expires the Penguins need to not resign him. The problem with Byslma is he can can’t coach during a big game. That’s why team USA didn’t win the gold medal, the Penguins haven’t won in the Playoffs, and they didn’t win last night. He doesn’t change during the game. Hey Dan if something is not working then try something else! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even though it’s not working.

• pdmjr - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM

If they fail to make it to the finals, I expect Ron Burkle and Mario to fire Bylsma and Shero. The two headed team way of doing things has failed. Scuderi and Orpik are old and slow. They need to bring up the younger defensemen and let them play

6. sherry4002 - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Why all the hate for bylsma? Remember this if he ever gets fired he will have a new job in about 30 seconds, he is a great coach.

• apkyletexas - Mar 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I’ve been saying that for years.

I think he’s about to find out at the end of this season just how many teams want him.

7. flyersfan85 - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Fantastic game.. loved every second of it. His skilled players couldnt play in the heavy snow..why..arent they fromCanada, Sweden, Russia..places known for heavy sno…whatever..seems the Hawks skilled players had no issues. Think about Kane not ringing the post twice..would have looked like the recent Sharks/Flyers game..well..the Flyers did manage to score a few..but you get the point.

The only reason that I love this is that this could potentially be a SC matchup and the “heavily favored” Pens showed their true colors. Dan said that they played to there advantage in the offensive zone..isnt that supposed to be the Pens advantage?

But you guys should be looking to acquire Seabrook..not Kessler..he showed he could score last night. Must have felt bad that you guys just couldnt get things rolling and gave you something to cheer about.

While not the scoring dynamo that Flopsby is, Toews is forming himself into THE best player in the world. An obvious leader that can play D, can rally troops, can make the big plays and..can score like Datsyuk..

• futuistheflyers - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Flopsby? How long did it take you to come up with that one? While Toews will never be as dynamic a player as Crosby, he has proven to be a better leader.

• flyersfan85 - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Took me abouuuuuut…2 seconds. If you prefer Divesby..im ok with that..that took me 3 seconds. When you dont bang rocks together its amazing what you can imagine.

Yeah Messier was a fantastic leader that could score. I would much rather have that so when the scoring well dries up you still have all that respect left.

But..thats just my opinion..

And just for the record whats up with the calling for administration changes..I thought everyone was great with the Staal trade..and now your trying to trade some future great players for a #1 center..inwhich you already have two..#1 centers.. So your planning to pay a premium for a #3 center. Hey.. there can be only one questionable GM in PA..not two!

But I hope you get Kessler..because defense wasn’t a factor last night that needs addressed..

• futuistheflyers - Mar 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Messier? Administration changes? …I thought we were talking Crosby/Toews? You change topics more than the Flyers change starting goalies.

• theageofquarrel - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM

You think Flyer fans would worry about their own team.
        39 years is a long long time.

• flyersfan85 - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

@theageofcorral. Im pretty hurt..

I come on here to express my condolances and all I get is hostility. And I even threw in some advice so you guys dont drop back into the dreaded Pre-Mario ownership days..

But we werent talking about the Flyers..but we can change subjects if you want..

Im not worried about the Flyers as they are gonna win or lose without my input..I just enjoy the game and we all know that Ed Snider will just buy whatever the hell he wants..so..no reason to fret.. I mean its not like we were even favored to do anything.. we have been counted out since week 3..but not the Pens..they are favored this year…just like last year..and the year before..

And what happened..favored and then choked..favored..and then choked..favored..choked.. but you did get a little golf in..not as much as the Flyers..but..you guys may just have the same tee-times this year..

Oh well back to 1975.

8. flyersfan85 - Mar 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM

@Futu. Did I confuse you? Sorry..I slowed my typing down so you could get a better grip on what I was saying..so let me recap. Btw, I see what you did there..tying that comment about changing topics (from my convo with Age) back into our earlier conversation..you’re pretty slick..

You mentioned leadership and this is a hockey blog..so I jumped ahead a step knowing that one of the best leaders in the hockey business was Messier..so I compared Toews to Messier..so hope that helped.

Admin changes.. in comments above, people were mentioning changing out Bylsma and Shero..sorry thought you read through all of them..also referred to previous blogs where people were happy about the Staal trade..

Im not an english major or anything..your nick should be FutuaretheFlyers..not is..but hey..who is counting right..

Yeah the Flyers change goalies alot..that comment was funny..and stuff..

• futuisflyers - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You don’t have to tell me you’re not an English major, it’s very noticeable.

Anyway, in your response to my original post (stay with me here), you make not connection of Messier and Toews for comparison. You did state that you would prefer a guy like Messier as your leader, congratulations, so would 29 other teams.

Admin changes don’t interest me, as I believe it is the players who win and lose, not coaches and GM’s. Your team can’t win every game, but if your system nets you upwards of 100 points a season, I would think that it’s working. Staal’s trade was a good one for the Pens, in my opinion.

Lastly, futu isn’t a word. Futuis is a Latin word, but nice try on that one…and stuff..

Top 10 NHL Player Searches