Torts admits ‘Lui’s pissed’ about sitting out Heritage Classic

Mar 2, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Vancouver Canucks head coach John Tortorella knows many people – Roberto Luongo included – are mad about Eddie Lack starting in the 2014 Heritage Classic, but he stands by his decision.

“Lack deserved to play this game but Lui has done everything we’ve asked of him,” Tortorella said, according to QMI’s Hosea Chung.

“Lui’s pissed … but I have to make decisions which I think will give our team the best chance to win.”

The Canucks didn’t win on Sunday, as Lack & Co. fell to the Ottawa Senators 4-2. Tortorella said he knows that fans are upset, but he can’t just make decisions to make people happy.

Eddie Lack didn’t pretend that fans weren’t chanting for Luongo at times on Sunday. Instead, he just tried to block out those distractions.

“It’s their opinion,” Lack said. ” … I’m ok with it. I’m just trying to play the best I can out there.”

Despite this honest approach, the Lack – Luongo drama just seems to add another headache to a tense situation for the Canucks and their fans.

1. bleedrangerblue - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Torts stinks!

• joey4id - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Never a dull moment with Torts.

joey4id – Sep 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
      Torts! Burke! We’re seeing a train wreck waiting to happen in Western Canada.

• zetaone - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Are you so narcissistic you save every comment you make on this site in a notepad file or something?

• joey4id - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Are you that clueless about the internet and browsers? You must be because that’s a pretty stupid question. Take some notes.

All PHT articles are a available via a browser and, here’s the kicker, searchable. I learned that from being locked up in my mom’s basement. Now! Go away! Shoo!

• 19to77 - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM

“Guys! Look! I was right, on the Internet!”

• joey4id - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Yes! I was right…. again. ;-) 💋

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Lol

I’m sure you were the only person to predict mayhem coming from a Torts/Nucks marriage.

You’re obviously very proud of yourself.

Keep up your awesome “scouting”

• joey4id - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your sincere support. ;-)

• jhaegs - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Ladies and gentleman…. Captain Obvious

2. Wineshard - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Honestly can’t understand why Tortarella would play Lack for this game?

• tru2joelu4eva - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM

because luongo is hours away from being traded

3. timmons94 - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM

That was a good game…. Great crowd and venue

4. blomfeld - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

There are times to humor and there are times to be silent … this is ‘not’ a time to humor …

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    hallowed be thy Name,
    thy kingdom come,
    thy will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our tresspasses,
    as we forgive those
    who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
    For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever. Amen.

Take care Canuck friends and God speed … Blomfeld

• strictlythedanks - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Quit hogging all the LSD

5. luz56 - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Not sure if it’s me but there seems to be a lot of drama in all sports nowadays… Can’t they just play the damn game and shut their faces

• hockey412 - Mar 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I’m pretty sure all Luongo wanted to do was “play the damn game”…but point taken.

6. earpaniac - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Just like them to trade a goalie to get out of a controversy, only to get right into another!

7. paperlions - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Soooooo, last week he was rooting against Canada because (in part) Luongo wasn’t playing…now, he can’t find ice time for him on his own team?

8. mrhyperpants - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Good old two faced Canuck fans. You booed Lou out and didn’t want him anymore. Cory becomes the starter, then that falls on its face. Now you want Lou back when he’s out. What a fickle bunch of fans you are. Such a joke you lot are.

• ikillchicken - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM

“Is Loungo better than Schneider?” is a completely different question that “Is Luongo better than Lack?” There’s absolutely nothing inconsistent about thinking no to the former and yes to the latter.

9. pigpen1013 - Mar 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM

The idiots who we’re jeering Luongo last season and Lack yesterday are not real Canucks fans. I’m extremely disappointed in my team, but it is what it is. I’ve loved the Canucks since I was a kid, but that city is a god damn hipster haven. Beards and fedoras as far as the eye can see. Worst fans in the league. Almost as bad as quoting the Lord’s Prayer on a hockey message board. Almost.

10. harpdog - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

The real Canucks are showing up. Boston showed the league that the Sedins were weak and the rest of the league followed. Why do coaches think Goalies can win games. Lack barely wins half his games. It is Vans D and the inability to score due to Tors defensive style of coaching. Burrows follows how the Sedins play. Vancouver was very good because Santorelli was their best player besides Kesler. Say Good bye to KES. Anyone want to buy my Kesler Jersey? I wore it proud. Thus Vancouver relies on a second line to score and AHL call ups to to defend NHL allstars. Too many years of releasing good NHL players and getting nothing in return. Raffi is missed, LaParier is actually missed. All the rental players not kept. Time of Gilles to step down as we watch our team go down to the bottom. Next year Oilers and Canucks should fight for the Lottery. Not coaches fault. You cannot make apple pie out of mud.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches