Mar 2, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
When the Buffalo Sabres acquired Jaroslav Halak as part of the trade that sent Ryan Miller to the Blues, it was suspected that Sabres GM Tim Murray might try to send him elsewhere before Wednesday’s trade deadline.
As it turns out, his phone lines are already buzzing to do just that.
Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports the Minnesota Wild have been contacted by the Sabres about Halak, but Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has some doubts about Halak. From Russo:
But some inside the Wild worry he was a product of the Blues’ stingy system and there’s a reason St. Louis felt Miller, not Halak, was the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle.
But if the price is right, Fletcher could pull the trigger.
The Wild are also kicking the tires elsewhere (New Jersey, Carolina) for goaltending help. Meanwhile, Halak was on the ice in Buffalo for practice this morning before the team heads out of town for a three-game road trip starting in Dallas.
At least he doesn’t have to change his pad colors going from the Blues to the Sabres.
To add fuel to the fire of speculation, Halak told reporters following practice he wasn’t starting in Dallas tomorrow.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)