Mar 2, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
When the Buffalo Sabres acquired Jaroslav Halak as part of the trade that sent Ryan Miller to the Blues, it was suspected that Sabres GM Tim Murray might try to send him elsewhere before Wednesday’s trade deadline.
As it turns out, his phone lines are already buzzing to do just that.
Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports the Minnesota Wild have been contacted by the Sabres about Halak, but Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has some doubts about Halak. From Russo:
But some inside the Wild worry he was a product of the Blues’ stingy system and there’s a reason St. Louis felt Miller, not Halak, was the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle.
But if the price is right, Fletcher could pull the trigger.
The Wild are also kicking the tires elsewhere (New Jersey, Carolina) for goaltending help. Meanwhile, Halak was on the ice in Buffalo for practice this morning before the team heads out of town for a three-game road trip starting in Dallas.
At least he doesn’t have to change his pad colors going from the Blues to the Sabres.
To add fuel to the fire of speculation, Halak told reporters following practice he wasn’t starting in Dallas tomorrow.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)