Mar 2, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of bad news lately for the New York Islanders, but they get a bit of a pick-me-up today.
The Islanders activated center Frans Nielsen off injured reserve and sent forward Mike Halmo back to AHL Bridgeport. Nielsen had been out with a broken hand he suffered against Colorado when he was slashed by Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson. Johnson was suspended for two games for that act of aggression.
Nielsen returns to an Islanders team that is without captain John Tavares for the remainder of the season after he injured his knee in Sochi. He’s had a solid season with 18 goals and 43 points in 60 games this season, but with the team falling further back in the Eastern Conference, it’s not much solace for what’s been a major letdown after making the playoffs last season.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)