Mar 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
While the Philadelphia Flyers showed mettle in coming back from a 4-2 third-period deficit, giving up that lead stings the Washington Capitals, who eventually lost 5-4 in OT on Sunday.
To little surprise, the team seemed dejected after that defeat, with Eric Fehr really capturing what might indicate shaken confidence.
“We almost don’t want two goal leads the way we’re playing with them right now,” Fehr said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
(This may be the time when someone will chime in with the observation that the two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey.”)
Capitals head coach Adam Oates seemed exasperated after the game, as Carrera reports.
“It hurts because we blew a lead and it’s the wrong way,” Oates said. “At this point in time you’re supposed to be better than that.”
Goalie Braden Holtby provided a simpler assessment.
With the Capitals currently seated at ninth place in the East, this loss isn’t just embarrassing, it may very well hurt their chances of making the playoffs.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)