Mar 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
While the Philadelphia Flyers showed mettle in coming back from a 4-2 third-period deficit, giving up that lead stings the Washington Capitals, who eventually lost 5-4 in OT on Sunday.
To little surprise, the team seemed dejected after that defeat, with Eric Fehr really capturing what might indicate shaken confidence.
“We almost don’t want two goal leads the way we’re playing with them right now,” Fehr said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
(This may be the time when someone will chime in with the observation that the two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey.”)
Capitals head coach Adam Oates seemed exasperated after the game, as Carrera reports.
“It hurts because we blew a lead and it’s the wrong way,” Oates said. “At this point in time you’re supposed to be better than that.”
Goalie Braden Holtby provided a simpler assessment.
With the Capitals currently seated at ninth place in the East, this loss isn’t just embarrassing, it may very well hurt their chances of making the playoffs.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)