Mar 2, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
The 2014 Heritage Classic ended with fireworks, but the real show for many Vancouver Canucks fans came when it became clear that Eddie Lack would start over Roberto Luongo. Lack experienced some tough moments against the Ottawa Senators in an eventual 4-2 loss, only exasperating a shaky atmosphere around the team.
PHT’s Cam Tucker and Jason Brough were at the game, capturing how John Tortorella’s decision didn’t sit well with some fans.
Tucker deftly evoked the Canucks second most recent goalie controversy involving Luongo:
It’s almost become commonplace to feel bad for Luongo, but many believe that Lack is just unlucky to be dragged into the latest round of Canucks drama.
The disturbing thing for the Canucks is that this isn’t the only area of unease for the team, management and its fans. Regardless of denials, there are plenty of rumblings about Ryan Kesler being traded. Tortorella has made more than a few candid remarks about the makeup of the team prompting changes. To add injury to all the insults, Daniel Sedin suffered a lower-body ailment on Sunday, too.
It’s as if the Canucks hosted this big event at one of their most dysfunctional times. Consider the fact that this tweet went out before a loss in which Vancouver squandered a 2-0 lead to fall 4-2:
The Canucks have one more game (Tuesday at Phoenix) before the trade deadline. Fans won’t have to wait long to see if Sunday’s defeat was something of a swansong for a key member or two.
Then again, knowing this franchise, the drama could very well extend into the offseason (and maybe beyond).
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)