Mar 2, 2014, 7:06 PM EST
The 2014 Heritage Classic ended with fireworks, but the real show for many Vancouver Canucks fans came when it became clear that Eddie Lack would start over Roberto Luongo. Lack experienced some tough moments against the Ottawa Senators in an eventual 4-2 loss, only exasperating a shaky atmosphere around the team.
PHT’s Cam Tucker and Jason Brough were at the game, capturing how John Tortorella’s decision didn’t sit well with some fans.
Tucker deftly evoked the Canucks second most recent goalie controversy involving Luongo:
It’s almost become commonplace to feel bad for Luongo, but many believe that Lack is just unlucky to be dragged into the latest round of Canucks drama.
The disturbing thing for the Canucks is that this isn’t the only area of unease for the team, management and its fans. Regardless of denials, there are plenty of rumblings about Ryan Kesler being traded. Tortorella has made more than a few candid remarks about the makeup of the team prompting changes. To add injury to all the insults, Daniel Sedin suffered a lower-body ailment on Sunday, too.
It’s as if the Canucks hosted this big event at one of their most dysfunctional times. Consider the fact that this tweet went out before a loss in which Vancouver squandered a 2-0 lead to fall 4-2:
The Canucks have one more game (Tuesday at Phoenix) before the trade deadline. Fans won’t have to wait long to see if Sunday’s defeat was something of a swansong for a key member or two.
Then again, knowing this franchise, the drama could very well extend into the offseason (and maybe beyond).
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54