Mar 2, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
The Blackhawks’ captain scored twice – including a beauty in the second period in which he dangled Penguins’ defenseman Brooks Orpik then slid the puck five-hole on Marc-Andre Fleury – and had an assist. The more than 60,000 fans that braved the cold added to the atmosphere, as did the weather, which produced a constant and at times heavy snowfall throughout the game.
“It honestly did feel like we were playing shinny hockey in the backyard,” Toews told reporters afterward.
“We were playing smart in our own end the way we normally would. But we were making plays and just throwing everything on net and hoping for the best. So I think after everything was said and done, we had a lot of fun out there playing.”
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 20
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7