Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
There was a scary incident in the first period of Saturday’s game between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.
Calgary Flames forward Kevin Westgarth was knocked to the ice after taking a hard punch to the face in a fight with Edmonton Oilers’ forward Luke Gazdic. Officials immediately began calling for a member of the Flames training staff to come out on the ice to attend to Westgarth.
The fight also appeared to be one of the notorious staged fights. It happened right off a faceoff at center ice, one second on the game clock after Flames rookie Sean Monahan scored to give Calgary the lead.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5