Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
There was a scary incident in the first period of Saturday’s game between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.
Calgary Flames forward Kevin Westgarth was knocked to the ice after taking a hard punch to the face in a fight with Edmonton Oilers’ forward Luke Gazdic. Officials immediately began calling for a member of the Flames training staff to come out on the ice to attend to Westgarth.
The fight also appeared to be one of the notorious staged fights. It happened right off a faceoff at center ice, one second on the game clock after Flames rookie Sean Monahan scored to give Calgary the lead.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)