Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
There was a scary incident in the first period of Saturday’s game between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.
Calgary Flames forward Kevin Westgarth was knocked to the ice after taking a hard punch to the face in a fight with Edmonton Oilers’ forward Luke Gazdic. Officials immediately began calling for a member of the Flames training staff to come out on the ice to attend to Westgarth.
The fight also appeared to be one of the notorious staged fights. It happened right off a faceoff at center ice, one second on the game clock after Flames rookie Sean Monahan scored to give Calgary the lead.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)