Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
There was a scary incident in the first period of Saturday’s game between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.
Calgary Flames forward Kevin Westgarth was knocked to the ice after taking a hard punch to the face in a fight with Edmonton Oilers’ forward Luke Gazdic. Officials immediately began calling for a member of the Flames training staff to come out on the ice to attend to Westgarth.
The fight also appeared to be one of the notorious staged fights. It happened right off a faceoff at center ice, one second on the game clock after Flames rookie Sean Monahan scored to give Calgary the lead.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)