Mar 1, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
It was only in November that Pat LaFontaine was hired as the new president of hockey operations for the Buffalo Sabres.
On the first day of March, it’s been announced that he resigned the position and will return to his previous position with the National Hockey League. The Sabres made it official via Twitter on Saturday evening.
This news comes after multiple reports broke earlier in the day that the Sabres were having problems in the front office, with Lafontaine as a central figure.
“I would like to thank Pat for all he has done for the organization,” said Sabres’ owner Terry Pegula in a statement. “Pat joined us at a very difficult time and helped us transition the organization down a new path. Tim Murray will continue as general manager and Craig Patrick will continue as a senior hockey advisor.
“As has been the case since I bought the team, we’ll continue to do whatever is needed to rebuild the organization and keep it on path towards our ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup.”
Definitely hearing conflicting items. Source close 2 team says LaF wanted 2 go back to NYC/NHL. Another says this is all about Miller/Nolan.—
Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) March 01, 2014
At the beginning of October, Lafontaine got a job with the NHL, working alongside Brendan Shanahan, head of the Department of Player Safety, and deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
This has been an interesting few days with the Sabres. And that may be an understatement.
On Friday, the Sabres pulled off a massive blockbuster deal, trading goalie Ryan Miller and center Steve Ott to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a third-round draft pick in 2016.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)