Mar 1, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
It was only in November that Pat LaFontaine was hired as the new president of hockey operations for the Buffalo Sabres.
On the first day of March, it’s been announced that he resigned the position and will return to his previous position with the National Hockey League. The Sabres made it official via Twitter on Saturday evening.
This news comes after multiple reports broke earlier in the day that the Sabres were having problems in the front office, with Lafontaine as a central figure.
“I would like to thank Pat for all he has done for the organization,” said Sabres’ owner Terry Pegula in a statement. “Pat joined us at a very difficult time and helped us transition the organization down a new path. Tim Murray will continue as general manager and Craig Patrick will continue as a senior hockey advisor.
“As has been the case since I bought the team, we’ll continue to do whatever is needed to rebuild the organization and keep it on path towards our ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup.”
At the beginning of October, Lafontaine got a job with the NHL, working alongside Brendan Shanahan, head of the Department of Player Safety, and deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
This has been an interesting few days with the Sabres. And that may be an understatement.
On Friday, the Sabres pulled off a massive blockbuster deal, trading goalie Ryan Miller and center Steve Ott to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a third-round draft pick in 2016.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)