Mar 1, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Oh boy, here we go again. Another goalie controversy in Vancouver?
According to multiple reports, rookie goalie Eddie Lack will get the start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks against the Ottawa Senators in Sunday’s Heritage Classic. That would make it three straight starts out of the Olympic break for the 26-year-old Lack, who is in his first NHL season.
In his last three starts, including one against the Detroit Red Wings prior to the Olympic break, Lack has been stellar. He’s allowed only two goals over those last three starts, despite a record of just 1-1-1. The problem has been lack – no pun intended – of goal support.
After the Canucks practiced at BC Place Stadium on Saturday, one day before hitting the ice for real against the Senators, head coach John Tortorella did not reveal who his starting goalie would be.
Lack was the first goalie to talk to media after the skate. He also said he hadn’t heard who was starting, but spoke highly of the ice conditions inside BC Place.
“We used to have two practices a week outdoor and three inside. It’s a really cool event. I’m really looking forward to it,” Lack told reporters.
“I’ve never been in here before, so from the first time I walked in here this morning, I was just like, ‘Oh my God, this is going to be so cool.”
This isn’t the first time the Canucks have found themselves with something of a goalie controversy on their hands.
For almost two years, the Canucks tried to move Luongo, tied into a 12-year, $64 million contract, in a trade, after his starting job was taken over by Cory Schneider in the 2012 playoffs. Remember that whole ‘My contract sucks’ line?
In the end, Schneider was dealt to the New Jersey Devils at the NHL Draft.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)