Mar 1, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Oh boy, here we go again. Another goalie controversy in Vancouver?
According to multiple reports, rookie goalie Eddie Lack will get the start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks against the Ottawa Senators in Sunday’s Heritage Classic. That would make it three straight starts out of the Olympic break for the 26-year-old Lack, who is in his first NHL season.
In his last three starts, including one against the Detroit Red Wings prior to the Olympic break, Lack has been stellar. He’s allowed only two goals over those last three starts, despite a record of just 1-1-1. The problem has been lack – no pun intended – of goal support.
After the Canucks practiced at BC Place Stadium on Saturday, one day before hitting the ice for real against the Senators, head coach John Tortorella did not reveal who his starting goalie would be.
Lack was the first goalie to talk to media after the skate. He also said he hadn’t heard who was starting, but spoke highly of the ice conditions inside BC Place.
“We used to have two practices a week outdoor and three inside. It’s a really cool event. I’m really looking forward to it,” Lack told reporters.
“I’ve never been in here before, so from the first time I walked in here this morning, I was just like, ‘Oh my God, this is going to be so cool.”
This isn’t the first time the Canucks have found themselves with something of a goalie controversy on their hands.
For almost two years, the Canucks tried to move Luongo, tied into a 12-year, $64 million contract, in a trade, after his starting job was taken over by Cory Schneider in the 2012 playoffs. Remember that whole ‘My contract sucks’ line?
In the end, Schneider was dealt to the New Jersey Devils at the NHL Draft.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (42)