Mar 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Girardi, the 29-year-old defenseman, has played his entire National Hockey League career with the Rangers, breaking in with the team in the 2006-07 season.
“Things were getting closer and I thought it was getting down to the time where both sides had to make a decision,” Girardi told NorthJersey.com.
“I’m just really happy to be a Ranger and I’m hoping to finish my career here. To say you’ve played your whole career with an Original Six team, especially a team in New York. It’s something special for me and my family.”
Of course, there are still trade rumors swirling around the Rangers, with contract talks between the club and Ryan Callahan apparently going nowhere.
It was reported this week that Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, hasn’t spoken to the Rangers since before the Olympic break.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)