Mar 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
Girardi, the 29-year-old defenseman, has played his entire National Hockey League career with the Rangers, breaking in with the team in the 2006-07 season.
“Things were getting closer and I thought it was getting down to the time where both sides had to make a decision,” Girardi told NorthJersey.com.
“I’m just really happy to be a Ranger and I’m hoping to finish my career here. To say you’ve played your whole career with an Original Six team, especially a team in New York. It’s something special for me and my family.”
Of course, there are still trade rumors swirling around the Rangers, with contract talks between the club and Ryan Callahan apparently going nowhere.
It was reported this week that Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, hasn’t spoken to the Rangers since before the Olympic break.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)