Mar 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The National Hockey League has suspended New York Islanders defenseman Travis Hamonic for one game without pay for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game.
The incident occurred late in the third period of Saturday’s game between the Islanders and New Jersey Devils. Hamonic was assessed a fighting major, instigator penalty, a misconduct and game misconduct after he went after Devils’ left-winger Ryan Carter.
According to a statement released by the NHL on Saturday evening, Hamonic will forfeit $19,780.22 in salary. Islanders head coach Jack Capuano has also been fined $10,000.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 22
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)