Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s Olympic hangover will rage on for another game.
The Montreal Canadiens starting goalie will miss his third straight game with a lower-body injury on Saturday night when the Habs host the Toronto Maple Leafs. As NHL.com shares, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien isn’t overly concerned with his status in spite of missing each game since returning from Sochi.
“It’s day-to-day,” Therrien told reporters after an optional practice on Friday. “We shouldn’t make it sound worse than it is. One thing’s for sure, when Carey comes back he’ll be 100 percent. It’s pointless at this point in the season to put him in, even if it’s a very important time of the year. He wouldn’t be able to play. We’re confident that with treatment he’ll come back pretty soon.”
That’s a different spin on the old “if this was a playoff game, he’d be in there” way of thinking. Montreal is six points behind Boston for the Atlantic Division lead and two points ahead of Tampa Bay and Toronto. Getting Price back healthy will help them in that mix, but for now it’s up to Peter Budaj to hold down the fort.
Budaj will get the start against Toronto tonight and face off against Jonathan Bernier for the Leafs.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)