Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s Olympic hangover will rage on for another game.
The Montreal Canadiens starting goalie will miss his third straight game with a lower-body injury on Saturday night when the Habs host the Toronto Maple Leafs. As NHL.com shares, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien isn’t overly concerned with his status in spite of missing each game since returning from Sochi.
“It’s day-to-day,” Therrien told reporters after an optional practice on Friday. “We shouldn’t make it sound worse than it is. One thing’s for sure, when Carey comes back he’ll be 100 percent. It’s pointless at this point in the season to put him in, even if it’s a very important time of the year. He wouldn’t be able to play. We’re confident that with treatment he’ll come back pretty soon.”
That’s a different spin on the old “if this was a playoff game, he’d be in there” way of thinking. Montreal is six points behind Boston for the Atlantic Division lead and two points ahead of Tampa Bay and Toronto. Getting Price back healthy will help them in that mix, but for now it’s up to Peter Budaj to hold down the fort.
Budaj will get the start against Toronto tonight and face off against Jonathan Bernier for the Leafs.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)