Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Carey Price‘s Olympic hangover will rage on for another game.
The Montreal Canadiens starting goalie will miss his third straight game with a lower-body injury on Saturday night when the Habs host the Toronto Maple Leafs. As NHL.com shares, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien isn’t overly concerned with his status in spite of missing each game since returning from Sochi.
“It’s day-to-day,” Therrien told reporters after an optional practice on Friday. “We shouldn’t make it sound worse than it is. One thing’s for sure, when Carey comes back he’ll be 100 percent. It’s pointless at this point in the season to put him in, even if it’s a very important time of the year. He wouldn’t be able to play. We’re confident that with treatment he’ll come back pretty soon.”
That’s a different spin on the old “if this was a playoff game, he’d be in there” way of thinking. Montreal is six points behind Boston for the Atlantic Division lead and two points ahead of Tampa Bay and Toronto. Getting Price back healthy will help them in that mix, but for now it’s up to Peter Budaj to hold down the fort.
Budaj will get the start against Toronto tonight and face off against Jonathan Bernier for the Leafs.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)