Mar 1, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils will have to take on the New York Islanders without their captain this afternoon.
The Devils will be without defenseman Bryce Salvador as he’s dealing with a bruised collarbone injury suffered on Thursday after being struck by a Jack Johnson slap shot. As Devils coach Peter DeBoer shares with Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, there’s a good reason to not push him to play.
“When you’ve got eight defensemen, if anyone’s less than 100 percent it doesn’t make sense to risk it especially with three games in four nights,” DeBoer said.
Anton Volchenkov will take Salvador’s spot in the lineup. He was a healthy scratch against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54