Mar 1, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils will have to take on the New York Islanders without their captain this afternoon.
The Devils will be without defenseman Bryce Salvador as he’s dealing with a bruised collarbone injury suffered on Thursday after being struck by a Jack Johnson slap shot. As Devils coach Peter DeBoer shares with Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, there’s a good reason to not push him to play.
“When you’ve got eight defensemen, if anyone’s less than 100 percent it doesn’t make sense to risk it especially with three games in four nights,” DeBoer said.
Anton Volchenkov will take Salvador’s spot in the lineup. He was a healthy scratch against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 46
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)