Mar 1, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils will have to take on the New York Islanders without their captain this afternoon.
The Devils will be without defenseman Bryce Salvador as he’s dealing with a bruised collarbone injury suffered on Thursday after being struck by a Jack Johnson slap shot. As Devils coach Peter DeBoer shares with Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, there’s a good reason to not push him to play.
“When you’ve got eight defensemen, if anyone’s less than 100 percent it doesn’t make sense to risk it especially with three games in four nights,” DeBoer said.
Anton Volchenkov will take Salvador’s spot in the lineup. He was a healthy scratch against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 32
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25