Mar 1, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov apparently doesn’t want to go anywhere else.
The 35-year-old Russian blue liner is in the final year of his three-year, $17.25 million deal with the Habs. While he could be a free agent this summer, his agent Sergei Berezin (yes, the former Toronto Maple Leafs forward) told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun his client wants to stay in Montreal.
“I can’t say much, we agreed not to say much, but talks are ongoing and Andrei wants to stay in Montreal,” agent Sergei Berezin said. “We’ll see where it goes. He’s played 13 seasons with Montreal. He wants to finish his career in Montreal.”
This isn’t a new revelation for Markov. He said he wanted to finish his career there back in January and nothing has changed on that front.
Of course, it takes two to make a thing go right and getting the contract figured out is Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin’s job. The Habs reportedly made a one-year, $6 million offer to him, but he’s looking for more years. At his age and with his injury history, that’s a dicey prospect.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)