Feb 28, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
The biggest goaltending domino in the trade deadline fell when Ryan Miller was traded on Friday, but the Carolina Hurricanes are probably hopeful that this beefs up what might have been a tepid market at the position. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that they’re willing to trade any one of three goalies Cam Ward, Anton Khudobin and Justin Peters by the trade deadline.
The three goalies present some very different value propositions.
Ward, 29: The big name of the three, Ward carries a $6.3 million cap hit that runs through the 2015-16 season. The last two campaigns have been particularly difficult for the netminder, as he’s dealt with injuries and inconsistency while Carolina floundered.
His recent play might damper his value (especially with that hefty contract), but Carolina can also ask for a little more value in return for a guy who has a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup on his resume … even if that happened many moons ago.
Khudobin, 27: The Hurricanes grabbed him as he was one of the league’s best-kept secrets (9-4-1 with a .920 save percentage in Boston last season) and onlookers have seen him play well even without Zdeno Chara patrolling his blueline. He’s likely to get a nice raise from his expiring $800K salary, although a team might target him as a Ben Bishop-type buy-low candidate.
At the same time, Khudobin echoes Bishop last season in having limited NHL experience, so GMs might be weary of paying whatever Carolina’s price may be for him.
Peters, 27: He’s quietly put together a very nice season after some up-and-down years as a Hurricanes goaltending prospect. Teams that focus on his nice .919 save percentage instead of his 7-9-4 record could very well grab a sneaky-good backup. Like Khudobin, Peters has an expiring contract.
As you can see, you can make an argument for or against each one of the Hurricanes’ potential trade target goalies. It may come down to what GM Jim Rutherford is asking for and which goalie(s) he truly wants to keep.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5