Feb 28, 2014, 2:03 AM EDT
The New York Rangers haven’t been able to escape trade speculation in the lead up to the March 5 trade deadline. However, it seems there is an effort underway to re-sign veteran defenseman Dan Girardi.
From ESPN New York:
The Rangers and Girardi’s camp have been in discussions over the past week and a half, Girardi’s agent confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com Thursday afternoon, and the lines of communication remain open.
Though Meehan said it is “still too early to tell” whether the two sides can bridge the gap on an extension for the 29-year-old defenseman before next week’s March 5 trade deadline, he remains optimistic with the two sides still talking.
Girardi is reportedly seeking a six-year deal worth $5.5 million, which is considered a pretty sound market-value deal. It is not believed the two sides are significantly far apart, though Girardi could be one of the most attractive rental players on the market and fetch an enticing return for the Blueshirts if they decide to move him.
Girardi has spent his entire NHL career with the Rangers, beginning in the 2006-07 season. As per Capgeek.com, he’s in the final year of his contract that comes with a cap hit of $3.325 million.
Meanwhile, it looks as if Ryan Callahan is headed for the trade market.
In fact, his agent, Steve Bartlett said on Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken to the Rangers about a possible contract extension for his client since before the Olympics. Callahan is in the final year of a three-year contract worth $12.825 million.
- Selanne offers harsh critic of Boudreau’s handling of him 0
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 5
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)