Feb 28, 2014, 2:03 AM EST
The New York Rangers haven’t been able to escape trade speculation in the lead up to the March 5 trade deadline. However, it seems there is an effort underway to re-sign veteran defenseman Dan Girardi.
From ESPN New York:
The Rangers and Girardi’s camp have been in discussions over the past week and a half, Girardi’s agent confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com Thursday afternoon, and the lines of communication remain open.
Though Meehan said it is “still too early to tell” whether the two sides can bridge the gap on an extension for the 29-year-old defenseman before next week’s March 5 trade deadline, he remains optimistic with the two sides still talking.
Girardi is reportedly seeking a six-year deal worth $5.5 million, which is considered a pretty sound market-value deal. It is not believed the two sides are significantly far apart, though Girardi could be one of the most attractive rental players on the market and fetch an enticing return for the Blueshirts if they decide to move him.
Girardi has spent his entire NHL career with the Rangers, beginning in the 2006-07 season. As per Capgeek.com, he’s in the final year of his contract that comes with a cap hit of $3.325 million.
Meanwhile, it looks as if Ryan Callahan is headed for the trade market.
In fact, his agent, Steve Bartlett said on Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken to the Rangers about a possible contract extension for his client since before the Olympics. Callahan is in the final year of a three-year contract worth $12.825 million.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)