Feb 28, 2014, 2:03 AM EDT
The New York Rangers haven’t been able to escape trade speculation in the lead up to the March 5 trade deadline. However, it seems there is an effort underway to re-sign veteran defenseman Dan Girardi.
From ESPN New York:
The Rangers and Girardi’s camp have been in discussions over the past week and a half, Girardi’s agent confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com Thursday afternoon, and the lines of communication remain open.
Though Meehan said it is “still too early to tell” whether the two sides can bridge the gap on an extension for the 29-year-old defenseman before next week’s March 5 trade deadline, he remains optimistic with the two sides still talking.
Girardi is reportedly seeking a six-year deal worth $5.5 million, which is considered a pretty sound market-value deal. It is not believed the two sides are significantly far apart, though Girardi could be one of the most attractive rental players on the market and fetch an enticing return for the Blueshirts if they decide to move him.
Girardi has spent his entire NHL career with the Rangers, beginning in the 2006-07 season. As per Capgeek.com, he’s in the final year of his contract that comes with a cap hit of $3.325 million.
Meanwhile, it looks as if Ryan Callahan is headed for the trade market.
In fact, his agent, Steve Bartlett said on Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken to the Rangers about a possible contract extension for his client since before the Olympics. Callahan is in the final year of a three-year contract worth $12.825 million.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)