Feb 28, 2014, 2:03 AM EDT
The New York Rangers haven’t been able to escape trade speculation in the lead up to the March 5 trade deadline. However, it seems there is an effort underway to re-sign veteran defenseman Dan Girardi.
From ESPN New York:
The Rangers and Girardi’s camp have been in discussions over the past week and a half, Girardi’s agent confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com Thursday afternoon, and the lines of communication remain open.
Though Meehan said it is “still too early to tell” whether the two sides can bridge the gap on an extension for the 29-year-old defenseman before next week’s March 5 trade deadline, he remains optimistic with the two sides still talking.
Girardi is reportedly seeking a six-year deal worth $5.5 million, which is considered a pretty sound market-value deal. It is not believed the two sides are significantly far apart, though Girardi could be one of the most attractive rental players on the market and fetch an enticing return for the Blueshirts if they decide to move him.
Girardi has spent his entire NHL career with the Rangers, beginning in the 2006-07 season. As per Capgeek.com, he’s in the final year of his contract that comes with a cap hit of $3.325 million.
Meanwhile, it looks as if Ryan Callahan is headed for the trade market.
In fact, his agent, Steve Bartlett said on Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken to the Rangers about a possible contract extension for his client since before the Olympics. Callahan is in the final year of a three-year contract worth $12.825 million.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25