Feb 28, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Chris Phillips has spent his entire 17-year career in Ottawa but, with the Mar. 5 trade deadline looming and no new deal in place, rumors have surfaced about him possibly moving elsewhere.
On Friday, Phillips — representing himself in negotiations with the Sens — said there’s “not a lot going on” regarding an extension in Ottawa, per the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. That bit of news makes this Insider Trading report from TSN’s Darren Dreger all the more interesting:
In terms of Phillips, there’s a negotiation that’s ongoing between the Ottawa Senators and Phillips to keep him a lifer in Ottawa. If that doesn’t go well, if Phillips doesn’t like the offer that has been presented, then Bryan Murray may have to make a very difficult decision.
There would be interest in Chris Phillips, a veteran player, very sound defensively, maybe he’s a good fit with the Boston Bruins.
Phillips, 35, is in the final of a three-year, $9.25 million deal, carrying an average annual cap hit of $3.08 million. He currently holds a limited no-movement clause; according to CapGeek, Phillips can provide a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a trade to.
Boston is believed to be in the market for blueline depth after losing Dennis Seidenberg for the year to a torn ACL. Phillips would seemingly be a good fit, considering he’s battle-tested (over 100 postseason appearances) and able to log significant minutes (averaging close to 21 per game this year).
That said, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa losing two of its longest-tenured players in less than a calendar year, having already watched Daniel Alfredsson bolt to sign in Detroit this past summer.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Its reportedly a one-way deal worth $800,000.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The forward was a part of a seven-player trade on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)