Feb 28, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Chris Phillips has spent his entire 17-year career in Ottawa but, with the Mar. 5 trade deadline looming and no new deal in place, rumors have surfaced about him possibly moving elsewhere.
On Friday, Phillips — representing himself in negotiations with the Sens — said there’s “not a lot going on” regarding an extension in Ottawa, per the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. That bit of news makes this Insider Trading report from TSN’s Darren Dreger all the more interesting:
In terms of Phillips, there’s a negotiation that’s ongoing between the Ottawa Senators and Phillips to keep him a lifer in Ottawa. If that doesn’t go well, if Phillips doesn’t like the offer that has been presented, then Bryan Murray may have to make a very difficult decision.
There would be interest in Chris Phillips, a veteran player, very sound defensively, maybe he’s a good fit with the Boston Bruins.
Phillips, 35, is in the final of a three-year, $9.25 million deal, carrying an average annual cap hit of $3.08 million. He currently holds a limited no-movement clause; according to CapGeek, Phillips can provide a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a trade to.
Boston is believed to be in the market for blueline depth after losing Dennis Seidenberg for the year to a torn ACL. Phillips would seemingly be a good fit, considering he’s battle-tested (over 100 postseason appearances) and able to log significant minutes (averaging close to 21 per game this year).
That said, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa losing two of its longest-tenured players in less than a calendar year, having already watched Daniel Alfredsson bolt to sign in Detroit this past summer.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)