Feb 28, 2014, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Phillips has spent his entire 17-year career in Ottawa but, with the Mar. 5 trade deadline looming and no new deal in place, rumors have surfaced about him possibly moving elsewhere.
On Friday, Phillips — representing himself in negotiations with the Sens — said there’s “not a lot going on” regarding an extension in Ottawa, per the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. That bit of news makes this Insider Trading report from TSN’s Darren Dreger all the more interesting:
In terms of Phillips, there’s a negotiation that’s ongoing between the Ottawa Senators and Phillips to keep him a lifer in Ottawa. If that doesn’t go well, if Phillips doesn’t like the offer that has been presented, then Bryan Murray may have to make a very difficult decision.
There would be interest in Chris Phillips, a veteran player, very sound defensively, maybe he’s a good fit with the Boston Bruins.
Phillips, 35, is in the final of a three-year, $9.25 million deal, carrying an average annual cap hit of $3.08 million. He currently holds a limited no-movement clause; according to CapGeek, Phillips can provide a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a trade to.
Boston is believed to be in the market for blueline depth after losing Dennis Seidenberg for the year to a torn ACL. Phillips would seemingly be a good fit, considering he’s battle-tested (over 100 postseason appearances) and able to log significant minutes (averaging close to 21 per game this year).
That said, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa losing two of its longest-tenured players in less than a calendar year, having already watched Daniel Alfredsson bolt to sign in Detroit this past summer.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39