Feb 28, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Chris Phillips has spent his entire 17-year career in Ottawa but, with the Mar. 5 trade deadline looming and no new deal in place, rumors have surfaced about him possibly moving elsewhere.
On Friday, Phillips — representing himself in negotiations with the Sens — said there’s “not a lot going on” regarding an extension in Ottawa, per the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. That bit of news makes this Insider Trading report from TSN’s Darren Dreger all the more interesting:
In terms of Phillips, there’s a negotiation that’s ongoing between the Ottawa Senators and Phillips to keep him a lifer in Ottawa. If that doesn’t go well, if Phillips doesn’t like the offer that has been presented, then Bryan Murray may have to make a very difficult decision.
There would be interest in Chris Phillips, a veteran player, very sound defensively, maybe he’s a good fit with the Boston Bruins.
Phillips, 35, is in the final of a three-year, $9.25 million deal, carrying an average annual cap hit of $3.08 million. He currently holds a limited no-movement clause; according to CapGeek, Phillips can provide a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a trade to.
Boston is believed to be in the market for blueline depth after losing Dennis Seidenberg for the year to a torn ACL. Phillips would seemingly be a good fit, considering he’s battle-tested (over 100 postseason appearances) and able to log significant minutes (averaging close to 21 per game this year).
That said, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa losing two of its longest-tenured players in less than a calendar year, having already watched Daniel Alfredsson bolt to sign in Detroit this past summer.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54