Feb 28, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
It’s an understatement to say that Pekka Rinne won’t see his team generate 9-1 wins very often at the NHL level, but either way, he got his feet wet as the Milwaukee Admirals dominated the Iowa Wild during the first game of his AHL conditioning stint.
“It was a fun game,” Rinne said. “It was good for me to ease into the game and get back out there.”
Despite only facing a few shots early on, the 31-year-old said he still felt a little tired after the first period. He stopped 16 out of 17 shots overall. (That’s the fewest shots the team allowed all season, according to their radio announcer Aaron Sims.)
Cell Block 303 shared a photo of Rinne at the press conference:
Beyond the game being a relatively simple ease-in game, it likely brought back some good memories for Rinne and especially fans of the Nashville Predators’ AHL affiliate.
We’ll see how much longer it will take for Rinne to feel ready for NHL action, as this contest sounded like largely a dress rehearsal.
Full video of Rinne’s press conference can be found below. The audio really kicks in around the 9:24 mark.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55